Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Mistakes to learn from
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2008, 10:29 AM   #1
PaulStat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bristol
Posts: 58
Default Mistakes to learn from

Ok well last week I finished my first full AG brew ever, and I have a list of mistakes I need to learn from for next time, I'm hoping that none of them will of ruined my beer!

1. Need to fix my coolbox mashtun the hosepipe from my grain filter fell out of the tap during the 2nd batch sparge, which meant the tap got blocked, I ended up having to jug to the boiler HLT and using a kitchen sieve to filter out any grain. This meant I was somewhere in the region of 4 litres down on my target 23 L batch!!!!!

2. I forgot to add the Protofloc tablet to the last 15 mins of the boil. DOH!

3. The airlock, I only just realised needs to have water or gin in it (hadn't previously read anything on that until this morning)! To late now anyway I've already primed the keg and transfered!!!!

__________________
PaulStat is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2008, 11:24 AM   #2
boo boo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Hearts's Delight, Newfoundland
Posts: 4,171
Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

You mean you have never brewed before this batch?

This book is always good to read and reread.
How to Brew - By John Palmer

__________________

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

boo boo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2008, 11:27 AM   #3
PaulStat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bristol
Posts: 58
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
You mean you have never brewed before this batch?

This book is always good to read and reread.
How to Brew - By John Palmer
Nope not even kits or extract, it went relatively well but I obviously need to tie up these loose ends.
__________________
PaulStat is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2008, 03:56 PM   #4
PaulStat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bristol
Posts: 58
Default

Was the airlock thing a big mistake?

__________________
PaulStat is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2008, 04:15 PM   #5
mew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 853
Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulStat View Post
Was the airlock thing a big mistake?
No, it's not that big of a deal. The vast majority of bacteria and fungi in the air move straight down, coming to rest on whatever's below them. The airlock has curves, so that'll minimize anything that gets in. In addition, the beer is blowing off CO2 during its most vulnerable stages, so you're probably ok. Just put some water in next time to be sure.
__________________
mew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2008, 04:44 PM   #6
PaulStat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bristol
Posts: 58
Default

I'll add a number 4,

I'm now suspecting I'm from a hard water area as the trials I tasted after measuring the FG did taste quite bitter, I'm hoping though that this is down to the beer being very young.

__________________
PaulStat is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2008, 05:46 PM   #7
Bigsnake
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 364
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulStat View Post
Ok well last week I finished my first full AG brew ever, and I have a list of mistakes I need to learn from for next time, I'm hoping that none of them will of ruined my beer!

1. Need to fix my coolbox mashtun the hosepipe from my grain filter fell out of the tap during the 2nd batch sparge, which meant the tap got blocked, I ended up having to jug to the boiler HLT and using a kitchen sieve to filter out any grain. This meant I was somewhere in the region of 4 litres down on my target 23 L batch!!!!!

2. I forgot to add the Protofloc tablet to the last 15 mins of the boil. DOH!

3. The airlock, I only just realised needs to have water or gin in it (hadn't previously read anything on that until this morning)! To late now anyway I've already primed the keg and transfered!!!!
Not a huge mistake but you can also some of your sanitizer solution. I prefer to use cheap vodka. I keep a big bottle of store brand Vodka around just for air locks. A friend uses Everclear but I've heard it'll mess up plastic air locks, but I'm not sure he's had any problems yet.
__________________
Bigsnake is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2008, 05:48 PM   #8
BigKahuna
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BigKahuna's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Eastern Colorado
Posts: 5,940
Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

I sure wouldn't use gin...it's not a matter of if an airlock sucks back...it's a matter of when, and when it does....I don't want 5 gallons of ginale.
I'm in the vodka croud.

__________________
Seriously. I'm here for BEER
It's Not The Size Of Your Rig That Counts....It's How Often You Use It.
BigKahuna is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2008, 06:16 PM   #9
mew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 853
Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulStat View Post
I'll add a number 4,

I'm now suspecting I'm from a hard water area as the trials I tasted after measuring the FG did taste quite bitter, I'm hoping though that this is down to the beer being very young.
The most important aspect of brewing is patience. Your beer is very very young. It's helpful to taste it at every point in the process, but at this point I wouldn't draw any conclusions.
__________________
mew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2008, 11:16 PM   #10
Anthony_Lopez
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Anthony_Lopez's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Groton, MA
Posts: 1,693
Liked 20 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

first brew ever and you went straight to all grain?! very nice!!! even if your beer was horrible, way to jump in head first!!!

__________________

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.
--Tom Waits

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
--Frank Zappa

My Cheap and Easy Stirplate

Anthony_Lopez is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
So much to learn nsheehan516 Introductions 6 04-15-2009 10:00 AM
Learn from my mistakes . . . . AnOldUR All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 3 06-16-2008 05:30 PM
You learn something new every day. neckbone Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 03-29-2007 12:30 AM
Looking to learn more!! tdavisii General Techniques 8 02-24-2007 05:24 AM
When will i learn!?!?! Reverend JC All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 26 02-08-2007 04:09 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS