New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Missed Mash Temps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2008, 09:42 PM   #1
ScoutMan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Missed Mash Temps

Doing my first 10gal AG today, and wound up missing my mash temps (154*) by about 3*(151*). It's a batch of BM's October Fast. Is it worth throwing a little maltodextrin in the brew pot to make up for lost body, or should I just roll with it. I have my temps down pat on 5 Gal batches, but the extra grain must have absorbed more heat than I figured. I'm thinking of adding 8 oz of Maltodextrin on top of the 1lb of Cara-Pils already in the mash. BTW, I was going to use US56/S05 yeast as I am currently out of S04

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
I see a ripped bag in your future BM :)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2008, 10:28 PM   #2
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Are you using brewing software like Beersmith. You should not guess when making beer. Adjust your mash if it is not too late. Cold ice water or boiling water will do nicely. Put in a half quart and stir well, measure after 5 minutes. Be careful as you can overshoot.

Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor

“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”

Last edited by WBC; 09-10-2008 at 10:32 PM.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:39 PM   #3
ScoutMan

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah, used Beersmith, hit my strike water temps, but after mashing in, found out I was too cold. Tried adding boiling h20, but only gained 1*. I was afraid of going too thin on the mash to add any more. What do you think about the Maltodextrin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
I see a ripped bag in your future BM :)

Quick Reply