Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Missed mash temp

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2011, 07:42 PM   #1
Fuzzy-Q
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Missed mash temp

Missed my mash temp.....tun was not as warm as I thought. currently at 143F. Was a little on the thick side to be safe anyway. Is the 143 ok to mash with??? or should I add more hot water. Doing a Tripel with 11# of Pilsner malts target was 152f.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2011, 07:48 PM   #2
RugenBrau
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I would add some more to bring it up

"Your HYDROMETER is the only BEST indicator of fermentation activity. Nothing else is accurate or consistent"...Revvy

Old 08-13-2011, 07:59 PM   #3
heckels
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 40 Posts

I'm sure it's too late by now, but there is a formula to figure out how much boiling water you need to bring some volume at a cetain temp to your desired temp. Don't have it offhand. I'm sure you can find it with a search.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:01 AM   #4
diS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Here ya go:
http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

I make table on my checklist what amount of water is needed to bring temperature up (depending on current temperature).

Old 08-14-2011, 03:20 PM   #5
Paulgs3
Yeast Buddy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Me too, OP.

I ended up just feeding the birds and squirrels and I'm pissed, I just wasted $30 worth of grain. I have three....I repeat three thermometers and all of them decided to act up.

I heated up my water, pre-warmed the cooler, got the strike water to 170 which was a tad hotter than I needed, added 3 gal of water... added grains...mixed took temp.... 163. Added cold water (half a gal)temp dropped to 148, added more hot water and and it just continued on from there.

I dumped it on the grass I was sitting at 144 with almost 7 gals in my mash for a 5 gal batch. I would have nothing for sparge if I continued. The thermometers, one read 144, on read 136 and the other read 140. I kinda trust the 144. And I mixed the living hell outta my mash.

My first complete failed brew.

Old 08-14-2011, 03:24 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulgs3 View Post
Me too, OP.

I ended up just feeding the birds and squirrels and I'm pissed, I just wasted $30 worth of grain. I have three....I repeat three thermometers and all of them decided to act up.

I heated up my water, pre-warmed the cooler, got the strike water to 170 which was a tad hotter than I needed, added 3 gal of water... added grains...mixed took temp.... 163. Added cold water (half a gal)temp dropped to 148, added more hot water and and it just continued on from there.

I dumped it on the grass I was sitting at 144 with almost 7 gals in my mash for a 5 gal batch. I would have nothing for sparge if I continued. The thermometers, one read 144, on read 136 and the other read 140. I kinda trust the 144. And I mixed the living hell outta my mash.

My first complete failed brew.
It doesn't sound that bad to me actually. Sometimes if you're too hot, you just have to stir really hard with the lid off and it'll drop within 3-4 minutes. As you've found, it takes a few minutes for the temperatures to equalize, and then you're stuck with adding hot/adding cold/adding hot to try to compensate. Next time, add your strike water about 11 degrees warmer than your desired mash temp, after preheating your MLT. Then stir like it's your job! Stir, stir, stir, check the temperature in three places, stir some more, check again. If the temperature is the same throughout, you're done stirring. But if not, stir some more. THEN check the temperature once more to see if you're too warm or two cold. That whole process takes a few minutes but by then the MLT will stop absorbing heat and the temperature will be equalized throughout.

Oh, yeah- get ONE good thermometer. I have about 5, but only one that I trust!

Old 08-14-2011, 07:49 PM   #7
RugenBrau
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I think I might get them in some ice water to calibrate or check them and find out which one is right

"Your HYDROMETER is the only BEST indicator of fermentation activity. Nothing else is accurate or consistent"...Revvy

Old 08-15-2011, 11:32 AM   #8
Paulgs3
Yeast Buddy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Thanks Yooper, great advice as usual!

I thought I mixed it well enough but I didn't. Compound that with anxiety (rookie) I over compensated and messed up.

RugenBrau, I do check the 0 temp, I'm a firm believer that multiple points need to be checked to confirm though. All of mine read 1 degree C in ice water but I'm going to have to check the 212/100. I do need a more reliable thermometer(s), its going to be my next purchase. To add insult to injury, I grilled some steaks for dinner and my weber thermometer was acting up also.

Day is over, start fresh next weekend.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:57 PM   #9
EROK
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I always shoot a bit high for strike temps and then drop in a few ice cubes to bring down to temp. If you are only off a few degrees high, not a lot of ice cubes are needed. I chose to do it this way because then I don't need boiling water handy. About 5 batches in I had it dialed in. Pre heating the tun is crucial in my opinion. Then if you preheat the tun take off the checkmark in beersmith to account for your equipment. This has helped me immensely in getting within a degree of the right temp everytime.

Chuck Norris is the only person to ever beat Andre the Giant in a drinking contest. And he did it by a two case margin.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:41 AM   #10
Fuzzy-Q
Recipes 

I added some boiling water to bring the temp up, but was not enough. Let mash for 90mins. Not sure if it helped or not as pre-boil gravity was 1.035 for 6.75 gallons. Decided, screw it and boiled until I had 5 gallons...the 2#s of candi sugar helped. og of 1.072 for my tripel.....hoping I get some good attenuation and get near the 8%. First AG, so lessons learned...

As a side note, the WLP530 (rinsed 2nd gen) took off like crazy. Glad I decided on a blow off tube. My bucket lid was bulging. Have not made an umdrinkable brew yet and not planning to with this one.

Quick Reply