The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Mini mash Time and Temp?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 09:59 PM   #1
jalamson5368
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Mini mash Time and Temp?

I'm doing a 2 gallon Pale Ale test batch with some homegrown hops for the first time and was wondering about how long to mash my grain bill, and at what temp.

I'm thinking
1.5 lbs American 2 Row
.5 lbs Caramunich II

in a Half gallon of water at 150 for 45 min?

The other fermentable would be 1.5 lbs Light DME

Ive meade my own recipes before but they were mostly fudging with some ingredients, this is the first time i've built a partial mash. Any help would be appreciated!

Jack

Primary: Was supposed to be Long Trail Hibernator until my thermometer broke in the wort!

Bottle: AHS Pumpkin Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 06:51 PM   #2
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 271 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 323

Is there a reason to mash the 2-row rather than just using more DME? The caramunich is a crystal malt and can be steeped- it doesn't require mashing. If you do mash it, I would mash those grains in a full gallon for a nice thin mash and a little more thermal mass.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 11-15-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
HeadyKilowatt
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin View Post
Is there a reason to mash the 2-row rather than just using more DME? The caramunich is a crystal malt and can be steeped- it doesn't require mashing. If you do mash it, I would mash those grains in a full gallon for a nice thin mash and a little more thermal mass.
I'm thinking the opposite- for a 2 gallon batch, why not just use an extra couple pounds of 2-row and make it an AG recipe? That'll also give you additional thermal mass. As long as your mash tun can accommodate that much grain, I say mash as big as you can- same amount of effort, so why not?
Old 11-16-2012, 12:05 AM   #4
befus
Mr. Infecto
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadyKilowatt View Post
I'm thinking the opposite- for a 2 gallon batch, why not just use an extra couple pounds of 2-row and make it an AG recipe? That'll also give you additional thermal mass. As long as your mash tun can accommodate that much grain, I say mash as big as you can- same amount of effort, so why not?
I agree. For that small of a batch if you are going to mash you might as well do it all with no additional work or time required.

Award winning:
Northern Brown Ale

"Guess I'll watch some TV, cuz it's nice to see people more messed up than me."

Primary:
Bottled: Wee Ain't Heavy (Wee Heavy);
Kegged: Brown Rhyno Old Ale (Rye Knot+ clone); Second Amendment Vanilla/Bourbon Porter; Pale Ale (a'la EdWort's Haus Pale);
On Deck: Northern Brown; Kolsch; Apricot wheat,

Old 11-16-2012, 12:10 AM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

If you're going to mash 2 pounds of grain, using up to 4 quarts of water for the mash is fine, but I wouldn't go over that. Keep in mind that about 1/4-1/3 of the wort will be absorbed in the mash, though, so you won't get that much out of the mash. Don't use 1/2 gallon for the mash (2 quarts) as that is about how much the grain will absorb so it would be totally pointless to do that!

Old 11-16-2012, 05:24 PM   #6
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 271 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadyKilowatt View Post
You know that's a good point. Do that.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Quick Reply