New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Mini Mash temp - what happens if too hot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2008, 02:06 PM   #11
nostalgia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmb View Post
High mash temps contribute to mouthfeel and residual sugars that are harder to ferment or unfermentable.
I believe this is what happened with my AHS Oktoberfest kit. My mash temp was a bit too high so I ended up with a high FG.

It's still lagering, but it tasted good when it went into the secondary, so I've got high hopes anyway.

-Joe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2008, 03:31 PM   #12
Grinder12000

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm getting a good education on what happens when things are a little off LOL

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at 85 degrees as I type.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:52 PM   #13
mmb
FNG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3041 Times on 2968 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder12000 View Post
Let me interrupt this and tell me if I'm wrong.

low-gravity = higher alcohol??

high flavor = well . . .nuff said

session beer = lighter quaffing style (I'm still trying to find what "session" actually means)
Low gravity usually refers to the starting gravity, but also can be used to describe the alcohol content of the drink as being lower.

Session beer would be one that you could down a few pints without too much of a buzz.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:27 PM   #14
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 124

Quote:
low-gravity = higher alcohol??
No. Low-gravity means it has a low starting Original Gravity, which means that it only has a small amount of fermentable and unfermentable sugars in solution. Low-attenuation means that OF the sugars that the wort contains, most of them are unfermentable, and thus results in a high Final Gravity.
OG minus FG = Points of gravity attenuated.
But since it's already a low OG, there's not very far "to go"... so if it ferments from 1.040 down to 1.009, you are down 31 points. According to BeerSmith, this results in 4.0% ABV, or 3.2% ABW.

Quote:
session beer = lighter quaffing style (I'm still trying to find what "session" actually means)
Google's a good friend: http://beeradvocate.com/articles/653

Beers low in alcohol content that are intended to be drank over a period of many pints and hours. English origin, because when you went to the pub with your friends, you sat down "for a session".

To actually address the issue of high-temp mini-mash... I would recommend using software to estimate your dough-in temperature..... heat your water in a seperate vessel.... then pour into your pot with your grains. Measure your "dough-in" temperature, then cover with a lid. You can keep heating it if you want, that's up to you -- but I wouldn't even recommend it unless you find it necessary. Instead cover the lidded pot with a thick towel or a small blanket or something, insulate it with cloth and just keep it covered for the duration of the mini-mash. Check after 30 minutes to see how close to temp you are... if you need to apply a little heat to keep temp, do so, but just do so gradually and carefully.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 08-06-2008, 05:17 PM   #15
Grinder12000

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ahh - but my starting Original Gravity was actually slightly high at 1.057 instead of 1.055. (and thus I was confused)

But as you guys are saying I have a lot of unfermentable sugars so my ENDING gravity might be higher the the 1.015 predicted!

I had 1/2 cup of Maple Syrup at the end of the boil.

What happened is I reached 160 - turned burner off and put in the mash - then a looked back and the temp is at 170 and NOT lowering but getting hotter because of the stupid stove. I took pot off burner completely and it stayed at 170ish for the rest of the 1/2 hour basically.

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at 85 degrees as I type.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:35 PM   #16
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 124

Correct - You had an OG that was just fine, but since your FG was high, you wound up with a low-attenuation/lower-alcohol beer. I doubt it's going to be "weak" per se. Just lower-than-intended-alcohol.

Still can be considered a "session" if you like to, as it's the ABV that counts, not only the OG.

I understand re: the stove. Probably always best to move it to a hot pad underneath with a towel over the top.

Either way, I bet this is gonna be just fine!

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Quick Reply