Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Mini Mash System for Extract Brewers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2006, 04:42 AM   #21
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbw
I'll keep my eyes on this thread.
I'm going to try and build one of these and test it out. I'll update the progress as I go.
Thanks for the interest.

Cheers,
Rich

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2006, 12:42 PM   #22
Mudd
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBrewer
I found this Rubbermaid 3 gallon cooler at walmart for $18.45
A 48 qt Ice Cube or a 5 gal round Rubbermade is <$22.00 at the same store.
Going AG isn't really all that much $$.

Old 04-30-2006, 02:47 PM   #23
RichBrewer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudd
A 48 qt Ice Cube or a 5 gal round Rubbermade is <$22.00 at the same store.
Going AG isn't really all that much $$.

I'm not looking at cost alone. The 5 gallon is a viable option for someone who knows they are going AG but even then, the 5 gallon may be too big for PM brews. The grain bed might be be too shallow. Experts chime in here.
If the 5 gallon cooler works for PM then great. I will caution everyone though. For all grain brewing the 10 gallon cooler works much better. A 5 gallon Mash/Lauter tun can be too small for big beers.

I was also looking for a smaller cooler that takes up less room for folks who are limited on space. I would think the 3 gallon would be better for home brewers who don't plan on going AG for awhile or at all.

Cheers,
Rich

Old 04-30-2006, 06:20 PM   #24
RichBrewer

Recipes 

Quote:
I'm not looking at cost alone. The 5 gallon is a viable option for someone who knows they are going AG but even then, the 5 gallon may be too big for PM brews. The grain bed might be be too shallow. Experts chime in here.
If the 5 gallon cooler works for PM then great. I will caution everyone though. For all grain brewing the 10 gallon cooler works much better. A 5 gallon Mash/Lauter tun can be too small for big beers.

I was also looking for a smaller cooler that takes up less room for folks who are limited on space. I would think the 3 gallon would be better for home brewers who don't plan on going AG for awhile or at all.
Also, remember that it's not just about the cooler. If you go to AG you will need a larger brew kettle which will require you to get an out door propane cooker that will heat that much wort. This is a lot more equipment and expense that I'm trying to eliminate.
With what I'm proposing, the only extra equipment the extract brewer will need is a smaller cooler with a strainer/false bottom. They can sparge into their current brew pot then proceed like they normally do for extract brewing.
There could also be some money savings on ingredients as well. Malted grains could take the place of some of the malted extract.
Take a look at this recipe I found in the Sep/Oct 1998 Zymurgy:

3.5 LBS two row pale malt
1.5 LBS Munich malt
.5 LB 30 degree Crystal malt
.5 pound Wheat malt
3.5 LBS Extra Light Dried Malt Extract.
The recipe calls for an infusion mash of the grains. There are 6 pounds of grain. You can mash with 1 1/2 gallon of water at 170 degrees giving you a mash temp of about 155 degrees. Water absorbed during the mash: about .6 gallons. Sparge would be 3 gallons giving you about 3.5 gallons in the brew pot. Once the DME is added you would probably be in the 4 gallon range. I would think a 20 quart kettle would handle 4 gallons of wort.
If you just steeped the grains you would have to eliminate the Pale malt and the Munich malt. LME or DME would have to be used to make up for this. I figured 3 more pounds of DME. What is the cost of LBS DME as opposed to the 5 pounds of grain? 3 LBS DME is about $12.00. 3 1/3 LBS pale malt is about $1.00 per pound and Munich $1.50 a pound. Total cost for grain- about $5.75 saving about $6.25 on this batch. The system would pay for itself in about 4 brews. Your beer would be better if you use the Munich malt.

Cheers,
Rich

Old 04-30-2006, 06:45 PM   #25
Mudd
Recipes 

Quote:

OK, Point taken.
How long does your oven stay warm or hold temp?
Does your oven have a warming setting that will hold @ 150F?
My oven has a low setting of170F. I can pre heat to 170 while adding
170F water to my mini mash grains.
Turn off the oven, put my dutch oven with minimash grain, covered with towels into the oven and let it sit for 60 min. Strain thru a colander lined with 3 - 4 layers of cheese cloth, into boil kettle.
Replace grains, add sparge (Batch) water, stir, wait, drain and strain.

Hot break and Irish Moss takes care of any cloudiness.

That is my mini mash procedure when I don't steep or AG it!!

All stuff around the house, only had to buy extra cheese cloth.

Old 04-30-2006, 10:29 PM   #26
RichBrewer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudd
OK, Point taken.
How long does your oven stay warm or hold temp?
Does your oven have a warming setting that will hold @ 150F?
My oven has a low setting of170F. I can pre heat to 170 while adding
170F water to my mini mash grains.
Turn off the oven, put my dutch oven with minimash grain, covered with towels into the oven and let it sit for 60 min. Strain thru a colander lined with 3 - 4 layers of cheese cloth, into boil kettle.
Replace grains, add sparge (Batch) water, stir, wait, drain and strain.

Hot break and Irish Moss takes care of any cloudiness.

That is my mini mash procedure when I don't steep or AG it!!

All stuff around the house, only had to buy extra cheese cloth.

That works for you and that's great but I would like to see of we can build a system that is more efficient and easier to use.
The Mash tun made with a Rubbermaid cooler does not need to be in the oven. Hot water heats the grain and the insulated cooler maintains the temp.

Cheers,
Rich

Old 05-01-2006, 09:23 PM   #27
Ocelaris
Recipes 

I use a little mini lauter Tun, "Phil's mini Lauter Tun" goes for about 25$ Basically just a 2 gallon bucket, a false bottom, and tube with hose adjustable clamp, mine came with a lid. Works great for 5 pounds of grain. I have done the dousing the grains in the water, but this is the next step I suppose. My first wheat partial mash in which I used this system, should be bottling next weekend. Basically steeped at 150-160* I forget exact #s, and then sparged with 180* which only brought the temp up to ~165* at best. Then boiled, and I boiled the malt, although they say you don't have to, I thought it prudent to at least sterilize the extract for the last 15 minutes or so of an hour boil. Then filled it up with 5 gallons of cool water at the end.

I got mine from Annapolis home brew, a local home brew shop (LHBS?),

http://www.annapolishomebrew.com/shopmashing.asp

they have great instructions as well as I think some great partial mash recipes. I forget precisely, but it was like 4 pounds pale malt extract/wheat malt extract, and then 5 lbs wheat/malt don't know precisely their recipe... But all their premade recipes have an option for all extract with steeping grains, partial mash, or all grain. The Partial mash is based on the Phil's mini lauter tun.

Last edited by Ocelaris; 05-01-2006 at 09:25 PM.

Old 05-01-2006, 09:37 PM   #28
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
A
What is the cost of LBS DME as opposed to the 5 pounds of grain? 3 LBS DME is about $12.00. 3 1/3 LBS pale malt is about $1.00 per pound and Munich $1.50 a pound. Total cost for grain- about $5.75 saving about $6.25 on this batch.

Ok, now Im definitely going to give this a shot

Old 05-01-2006, 11:29 PM   #29
RichBrewer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocelaris
I use a little mini lauter Tun, "Phil's mini Lauter Tun" goes for about 25$ Basically just a 2 gallon bucket, a false bottom, and tube with hose adjustable clamp, mine came with a lid. Works great for 5 pounds of grain. I have done the dousing the grains in the water, but this is the next step I suppose. My first wheat partial mash in which I used this system, should be bottling next weekend. Basically steeped at 150-160* I forget exact #s, and then sparged with 180* which only brought the temp up to ~165* at best. Then boiled, and I boiled the malt, although they say you don't have to, I thought it prudent to at least sterilize the extract for the last 15 minutes or so of an hour boil. Then filled it up with 5 gallons of cool water at the end.

they have great instructions as well as I think some great partial mash recipes. I forget precisely, but it was like 4 pounds pale malt extract/wheat malt extract, and then 5 lbs wheat/malt don't know precisely their recipe... But all their premade recipes have an option for all extract with steeping grains, partial mash, or all grain. The Partial mash is based on the Phil's mini lauter tun.
What are they using for the false bottom in that set up?

Cheers,
Rich

Old 05-02-2006, 12:51 AM   #30
Ocelaris
Recipes 

Here I snapped some shots of mine now that I'm home. It's a thick perforated convex plastic screen...

Click to blow up

Quick Reply