Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Mini Mash (and I mean MINI!)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2007, 05:21 PM   #1
SenorWanderer
Beer Maniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Mini Mash (and I mean MINI!)

The last few brews I've made have been sort of experimental in nature. Basically off-the-cuff recipes I threw together in beersmith. They turned out just fine, but the whole process of recipe writing left me thinking about how little I really know about how different ingredients and processes affect flavor. It's also a little expensive to "try something new" with a 5 or 6 gallon batch, SO, I'm starting to invest in a small batch all grain setup. I don't really need any new equipment aside from a hand full of 1 gallon jugs for fermenting, but i do want to build a mini mash tun from a 2 gallon cooler. The reason I want to do this is to begin to test different mash/sparge procedures to get better efficiency, and to learn the taste of different malts. For instance, i could do four 1 gallon mashes each with 1.5 lbs of pale malt, and .5 lbs of four different malts; maybe amber, biscuit, munich, and vienna.

Anyway, my question: Any of you experienced AG'ers see any problems with doing very small, but proportionate mashes? I'm most concerned about being able to scale up the results i get from my efficiency testing and have those numbers be applicable to full size batches. Before you ask, i decided to make a new 2g tun for a couple reasons: 1, because I already have most of the fittings laying around, and 2, I think the dead space in my 5g tun is just too much if you're mashing for a 1g batch.

Thanks for Humoring me in my ramblings!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2007, 08:30 PM   #2
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I did the same thing with coffee cups. I just wanted to see the taste and did not need a gallon to find out. I kept them in a water bath in the oven for 20 minutes. It does give you a good idea about the differences. Just treat the grain like tea and steep for 20 to 25 minutes.

Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor

“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”

Old 09-26-2007, 09:45 PM   #3
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

BYO magazine had a whole article on doing 1 gallon batches a few months ago. no problems with a super-mini-mash.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 09-26-2007, 10:41 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 967 Times on 647 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I was planning on doing tiny mashes for starters since DME is such a rip off. I'd just mash in a small bev cooler then dump it through a stainer to separate. Then pour sparge water over it.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 09-26-2007, 10:46 PM   #5
mediumsk
Recipes 

this is some what off topic but i would highly reccomend getting "designing Great Beers" by Ray Daniels. it gives formula's and outlines basic grist compositions for various styles. i found it indespensible for designing recipes. i think you would really like it if your at that point where you start making recipes and trying to figure out how it all fits together.

Quick Reply