Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > mini mash in 3 gallon cooler question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2009, 12:13 AM   #1
gasman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default mini mash in 3 gallon cooler question

i just recieved my first mini mash kit (british ipa) from austin homebrew and the directions say to soak the grains in a grain bag at 155f for 45 minutes and drain...then pour 170f water over grain bag....i made a small 3 gallon mash tun and i was wondering if i can use it to mash instead of grain bag...i was thinking mash at 155f then sparge at 170f...pretty much the same thing right?.. or is it done differntly when using the mash tun

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2009, 12:14 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

no, you're fine....have fun with your mash tun!!!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-05-2009, 01:44 AM   #3
fivehoursfree
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've been doing that with my mini mashes too. It's just easier to keep the temperature steady.

The other weird thing is that AHS says to mash in 2.5gal of water (in the brew kettle) no matter how much grain you have. I sort of go against their direction here and just use 1.5 qts per pound, plus I add boiling water if I need to adjust my mash temp.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:47 AM   #4
bell0347
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Yes, I have made the same thing and have used it several times now for PM brews. It works great. I even have done a 3gallon AG batch. Lots of fun, good beer too. Just follow the same directions but use your MLT.

B.Bell

"Hell, it aint rocket surgery"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
Beer should never enter a septic system until it's had a trip through the kidneys first. :D

Old 03-05-2009, 09:57 PM   #5
jpc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
i just recieved my first mini mash kit (british ipa) from austin homebrew and the directions say to soak the grains in a grain bag at 155f for 45 minutes and drain...then pour 170f water over grain bag....i made a small 3 gallon mash tun and i was wondering if i can use it to mash instead of grain bag...i was thinking mash at 155f then sparge at 170f...pretty much the same thing right?.. or is it done differntly when using the mash tun
My GF did a Belgian Wit partial mash this past Sunday using a three-gallon Rubbermaid round cooler that I converted using a stainless mesh FB. IIRC, it used 2.5# 2-row, 1.5# flaked wheat, 1# flaked oats. Had excellent results. Go for it!

Old 03-06-2009, 02:22 PM   #6
LateApex
Recipes 

I just did an AHS mini-mash last weekend for the first time using a 3-gallon cooler for mash tun. I plugged everything into Beersmith, and got different amounts of water for mashing and sparging, so I used them instead of the AHS instructions. So far, so good. I hit the SG within a point, so if that's any indication, it all worked out.

Bottled: AHS Bavarian Hefeweizen

Old 03-06-2009, 03:20 PM   #7
AFAJ Brew Guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have done may last 5 PM beers or so using a 3 gallon mlt. I really like it and it is pretty much just holding me over until I can get the AG setup completed this summer. The one thing that has helped me a lot was this article in BYO:

Countertop Partial Mashing

You may want to check it out. Using this I have been able to get on average 80-85% efficiency.

"There seems to be an over abundance of beer related items in this house." -SWMBO

Quick Reply