Milling malted wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

left field brewer

Reaction score
For the people with grain mills, do you set crush finer when good portion of grist is wheat? Is milling twice at normal setting a no no? Thanks.

I don't bother adjusting, I just run it through at the same setting I use for barley and only mill once.

I crush the wheat pretty fine. I was using less that .018", but it was hard on the motor coupling (it exploded), so next time I'll probably double crush at a coarse and fine setting, still less than .020" the second time.

I use a Crankandstein 3 roller with a motor, so it's not hard for me. Depends on what you are using for gear.

Buford said:
I don't bother adjusting, I just run it through at the same setting I use for barley and only mill once.

ditto. my factory set gap on the barley crusher does a good job on wheat kernals for me, in one pass.

I mill it once on its own, and then run it through again with my other grains. Seems to work pretty well.

I mill my malted wheat once through on my barley crusher at the factory gap setting. Works like a charm.

:mug:

Back