Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Milling Grains At Home

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2012, 07:18 AM   #31
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1929 Times on 1191 Posts
Likes Given: 2752

I spent the money on a BC before finding out about Corona mills. The BC works just fine and I enjoy grinding the grain by hand although a drill easily attaches. Brewed last weekend and my daughter ground up at least 10 of the 18 pounds by hand.

Friend of mine found a brand new Corona, two of them actually for 30 dollars total at the local swap meet. He built a little stand for one of them, I think the other he planned to use in the kitchen. He's totally happy with the thing, has a drill connected to it and he saved 90 bucks over the BC. Hmm.. that's 90 dollars for more brew stuff.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:44 AM   #32
Vernacular
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Cereal Killer Mill

Quote:
Originally Posted by phuff7129 View Post
I was leaning toward the barley crusher and then I did some research on the Cereal Killer mill from Adventures in Home Brewing. $90 delivered to your door and it mows through 16 lbs of grain in less than 2 minutes. I am super pleased with mine.
I bought a cereal killer too... it arrived today. I didn't think I was challoenged in any way by things mechanical but this thing is whoopin my butt. I can't seem to get it to work. Tried different gaps and different speeds. Either the grain just falls right through it, or none goes through (hardly) at all. I'm at a loss.. I see videos of the things at work and that frustrates me moreso. It has me thinking the knurls are not sharp enough to "pull" the grain between the rollers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 01:29 PM   #33
phuff7129
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 63

I use a spark plug feeler gauge to set my gap at .036. Make sure your drill is not in reverse or if using a handle make sure you are turning clockwise. If your drill is reversed it won't pull the grain through

This might be the beer talking....but I really love beer!

Old 10-17-2012, 05:12 PM   #34
kingwood-kid
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have a corona mill. It was cheap. It works great. Granted, it's a little inconvenient to hand-crank 10 pounds of grain through it, but anyone who talks trash about it will have to answer to my totally disproportionate right arm!

Say no to intolerance: love gluten and lactose.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:01 AM   #35
Vernacular
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nothing at all wrong with a corona mill... I read a bit more on the "roller type" crushers and came across a few comments that light a few lights up for me... I have my problem solved. The no driven roller and my cereal killer was jammed ... so I took it apart and deburrecd the ends of the roller where the knurl WAS "hanging" over the end, and the eccentrics that adjust the gap had a bit of a rough finish (the metal trades calls it a fillet) instead of a nice sqaure where the diameters chaged and it was really loading the bearings. I jeweler fines the fillet... reassembled witha drop of canola oil on each end. MAN OH MAN! this baby screamed tho0ugh nine pound of malt in just over a minute.... and my cordless drill didn't have a fresh battery in it. Video to follow next time I crush grains. Can't say enough good about $90 the cereal killer.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:58 AM   #36
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 478 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

IMO/IME, going through nine pounds of grain in 'just over' a minute is milling too fast. Crush suffers if you run through too fast. Better to run the rollers at a more reasonable rate. Generally, I target about 250rpm (about 1/2 speed in the 0-500rpm range on my cordless DeWalt hammer drill). I even opt to go a little slower when possible. I use the side handle on the drill (connect it up for milling grains) so that the torque of the drill doesn't spin it from my hands.

BTW, I've not had any issues with my MM2-2.0 like mentioned by Vernacular (with his cereal killer mill). I have to wonder if QC is a bit lacking with some of the other mill makers.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 10-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #37
JSGT09
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post

Moral of the story... Get a solid mill the first time, or you'll [eventually] be looking to replace it later. Spending a bit more now means you'll end up spending less in the long run (factoring in the replacement later).
^This

I tried to go the cheap route with my first mill and did the modified pasta/clay roller (do a search if you want to see one). Price was right but it was a huge pain the butt and my efficiency suffered with it and it took probably 25 minutes and a lot of sweat to crush my grain. I ran about 2 batches through it before I tossed it in the trash. I picked up a Crankandstein for about $70 from brewmasters warehouse and have never looked back. Efficiency is awesome and it takes me all of 5 minutes to crush 10 pounds of grain with my electric drill. Wish I would have bought one from day one.

Primary: Empty :(
Kegged: Ed Wort Hefeweizen, Scottish Shilling 80
Bottled: 1554 Clone

Old 10-19-2012, 11:00 PM   #38
Vernacular
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
IMO/IME, going through nine pounds of grain in 'just over' a minute is milling too fast. Crush suffers if you run through too fast. Better to run the rollers at a more reasonable rate. Generally, I target about 250rpm (about 1/2 speed in the 0-500rpm range on my cordless DeWalt hammer drill). I even opt to go a little slower when possible. I use the side handle on the drill (connect it up for milling grains) so that the torque of the drill doesn't spin it from my hands.

BTW, I've not had any issues with my MM2-2.0 like mentioned by Vernacular (with his cereal killer mill). I have to wonder if QC is a bit lacking with some of the other mill makers.
I have worked inthe metal working trades (generalmachine and screwmachines) and I thought exactly that about QC. The ecentrics looked like they had been tumbled which polishesthings up and removes light burrs. Themore I think about my mill the more I think the filets were the problem. And that was only oneside, the other was fine. The burrs on the rollers were generated when they were knurled it was displaced metal. You machinists knowwhat I mean. Knurling "squishes" them metal into the knurl like formed (rolled) threads instead of cut threads. allthis talk... lol sounds like I'm complaing about the the... I love it. the speed I used, the battery was about dead so enev with the triggerpulled allout (in) it was likely less than halfwhat a fresh charge would have given me. They recommend 300 RPM.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:02 AM   #39
Wreck99
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:

MM2 FTW!!! I love mine. Hook up my cordless drill to it and rip through a good size grain bill in no time at all.

Primary: None
Secondary: Rasputin's Beard, KBBA Clone
Kegged: Sam Adams Scotch Ale Clone, Irish Car Bomb Stout, Cream Ale
Bottled: None

"Beer, it's the best damn drink in the world." -Jack Nicholson

Old 11-06-2012, 03:47 PM   #40
Vernacular
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Here is a link to youtube where I poste4d my video... using the cereal killer. (I hope it works!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBrUfMO-Z_w

Quick Reply