The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Milling Grains At Home

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2012, 04:16 AM   #11
kylevester
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolvesmnfan View Post
Alright, another question. How long do you all believe I could store milled grain in a zip lock bag with most of the out of it (not vacuumed)? I live in Minnesota so my apartment is fairly dry this time of the year.
If you order it online, you'll get it in vacuum sealed packs and they're good for a decent amount of time. I've used upwards of 6 month old sealed grains and they've been fine, and I've seen many posts here where there weren't any big issues.

For milled grains in Ziploc, I'd estimate that you should use them within 2 months, but that's an educated guess and not science. You can get 5 lbs into a 1 gallon bag, unmilled, btw.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2012, 12:19 PM   #12
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 701 Times on 588 Posts
Likes Given: 217

Quote:
So my first all-grain batch turned out to be a complete failure. Was able to keep my mash at the right temp and everything. Boiling the wort went great also and I didn't even spill anything when pouring into my fermenter. But it all went tumbling down when I took my OG reading. 1.022...uh oh!!! Not even close to the estimated 1.048. With a little swearing and then trying to figure out what went wrong it dawned on me. I was so damn excited to do all-grain for the first time, I used unmilled grains!!! Luckily this was only a 2.5 gallon batch. So I'm guessing I'm screwed but is their anything I might be able to do? Also, I've been looking at milling my own grains, how does this mill look? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tall-Cast-Ir...item53ec6c2ae6
John Palmer talks about using a mill like that in How to Brew, chapter 17. It isn't the best mill for using a traditional mash tun but it isn't $150 either. If you do go that route, read a bit about "conditioning malt", wetting the grain some which makes them "squish" instead of grinding them dry as it will make the milled grain form a better filter bed.

I use a mill that is identical to that as I do BIAB and I can use the fine grind without worrying about a stuck lauter or stuck sparge.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:40 PM   #13
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 380 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Thats a corona type mill, lots of people use them and are pleased...cheaper from discount tommy linked below...search for the "ugly junk" thread, plenty to read there!

http://www.discounttommy.com/p-189-p...-nut-mill.aspx

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com/

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 10-11-2012, 01:46 PM   #14
twolvesmnfan
Recipes 

Well I'm going to wait and see if the LHBS crushes, otherwise I think I'll go with the Corona style and condition the grains. I'll be doing 2.5 gallon batches so I'm not too worried about killing myself cranking the thing!

Old 10-11-2012, 02:43 PM   #15
boscobeans
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Alright, another question. How long do you all believe I could store milled grain in a zip lock bag with most of the out of it (not vacuumed)? I live in Minnesota so my apartment is fairly dry this time of the year.
Use a good quality zip lock and throw one of those hand warmer packs in it before you squeeze out the air. It will use up all the oxygen in the bag and you will even see the bag shrink. Store in a cool dark place it will last for months with no problem.

bosco

Old 10-11-2012, 03:32 PM   #16
signmastr
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I'm happy with my Corona Mill. Not as ugly as some, but works great for me!

Old 10-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #17
Skarekrough
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by signmastr View Post
I'm happy with my Corona Mill. Not as ugly as some, but works great for me!
Yep. It's old and reliable. Sometimes it doesn't do the prettiest job and sometimes it takes some tweaking to get it there, but it does get you there.

I can usually tear through all my grains for a 5 gallon batch in about 15 to 20 minutes depending on the beer.

If I won the lottery I might go all out and get something nicer. But the Corona is working fine so it's hard to find any real fault with it.

Bear Hill Brewery - Get Mauled!

Old 10-11-2012, 05:10 PM   #18
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1826 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1296

I couldn't find a corona mill locally,& my grains had been in the bag in the fridge for a month. So on brew day,I broke out this old mini food processor. I put in 1/2C of grain at a time,pulsing 3 times for 3-4 seconds per pulse. Seems to have been a nice crush. With the 3.3lb of gold LME,I got an OG of 1.044 for 5 gallons. I'd say that's pretty good for my first one with mashing.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:23 PM   #19
twolvesmnfan
Recipes 

Turns out my LHBS does have a mill so no grinding for me!! Maybe someday when I get out of my apartment and start brewing on a larger scale I'll get a nice one.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:31 PM   #20
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Turns out my LHBS does have a mill so no grinding for me!! Maybe someday when I get out of my apartment and start brewing on a larger scale I'll get a nice one.
IMO/IME it has less to do with scale than control over your ingredients. For me, getting a mill made a lot of sense since I was buying grain in bulk (by the sack) and wanted to be able to brew whenever I wished to. Having to go to a store to mill grain wasn't an option (they wouldn't mill my grain for me). I used my mill at my brew-buddy's place for about 1-1/2 years before I moved to where I am now (from a one bedroom apartment to a 2/1.5 house, renting it). Now I really have the space to store things better AND be able to brew at home.

Having a QUALITY mill makes a huge difference. While there's plenty of people who love their ugly mill, I don't see it. I had a BC first (7# hopper) until I outgrew it (my batches required refilling the hopper at least one time). I now have a Monster MM2-2.0 mill with the hopper and extension. That gives me a 39# hopper capacity. I am thinking about motorizing the mill, instead of using my cordless drill to turn it, but that's a fairly low priority.

Moral of the story... Get a solid mill the first time, or you'll [eventually] be looking to replace it later. Spending a bit more now means you'll end up spending less in the long run (factoring in the replacement later).

BTW, I did read through the threads about setting up the ugly mill. IMO, far too much needed to be done to turn it into a decent barley crusher.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine
NordeastBrewer77 Likes This 

Quick Reply