Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Merry Christmas - here comes the AG gear

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2010, 05:12 AM   #1
BrewMoreBeers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Merry Christmas - here comes the AG gear

I just got a 10 gallon rubbermaid cooler, a false bottom and a stir plate. I am also going to get a second 10 gallon pot tomorrow to use as a HLT. I am almost set for my first AG batch. All I need now is to get some fittings from Bargain Fittings to connect it all and to figure out how I want to sparge.

I am thinking about fly sparging with gravity from the HLT to the MLT and then pumping to the BK. I am planning to make a copper hoop with little holes drilled in it to deliver the sparge water.

Any good tps for someone about to embark on their first AG batch? I am planning to buy an AG kit to get me thru the first batch. That way I know I have what I need. How much extra DME do folks suggest I have on hand incase/when I miss my OG?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2010, 05:17 AM   #2
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewMoreBeers View Post
Any good tps for someone about to embark on their first AG batch? I am planning to buy an AG kit to get me thru the first batch. That way I know I have what I need. How much extra DME do folks suggest I have on hand incase/when I miss my OG?
My tip, ENJOY it!!! I still do extract batches occasionally, did one today actually, but when I have time to do AG it's always a fun brew day. As far as missing OG, if your only off a few points like 3-5 depending on the recipe, don't worry about it. If you're WAY off then I'd probably have a couple pounds of DME on hand, just in case.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 12-25-2010, 05:19 AM   #3
mkirkland
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I suggest a batch sparge for the first AG brew.....my first AG brew i tried a fly sparge and my OG was off by like 15-20 points. Second time i did AG i batch sparged and my numbers were dead on. Batch sparging is easier i think.

Thats my opinion.

I am turned into a sort of machine for observing facts and grinding out conclusions.
~Charles Darwin

Old 12-25-2010, 01:12 PM   #4
autoferret
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm new to all grain brewing myself and i totaly agree on batch sparging. Just make sure that you mix your grain bed up really well and I suggest (got it from a video) using your white bottling bucket to see how much wort u get from each of the runnings so you can make sure that you get the right amount to boil. that was my biggest problem when i started doing all grain!

Primary: Local Honey Mead;
Secondary: Merlot;
Keg: "Experimental" American Ale; Kinda Nutty Brown Ale;
Bottled: "Oatie the Oatmeal Stout"; NB Saison; "666" by request; NB 115th Dream hopbursted;EdWort's Apfelwein
Up Coming: Imperial Oatmeal Stout; House IPA

Quick Reply