Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Mega Trub

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2006, 06:39 PM   #1
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Default Mega Trub

OK Am I doing something wrong here or is it normal with AG beer to have a mega crap load of trub? I had more sediment in my carboy for these last 2 brews then I think I have had in my last 5 put together.

I didnt filter these last 2 becasue the sediment clogged my filter so fast it was insane so I'm sure thats part of the reason. I think I have been recirculating correctly and the wort has looked pretty clear as I put it into the kettle. I have been getting huge hotbreaks and my cold breaks seemed to be good.

Am I screwing up here?
Is there a better way to do this?
Should I try to find a filter that wont clog so fast?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2006, 06:43 PM   #2
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

IME it's pretty normal with AG. I put effort into getting a good cold break and leaving as much as possible in the kettle, but I still get alot in the primary. You'll get good clear wort from your tun while lautering as you haven't created most of that gunk until the boiling process. I don't filter at any stage as I generally try to follow the KISS philosophy (except when I make it complicated ).

Old 03-27-2006, 06:47 PM   #3
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von BeeGee
IME it's pretty normal with AG. I put effort into getting a good cold break and leaving as much as possible in the kettle, but I still get alot in the primary.
This is good info, since I'm going to be engineering a siphon tube inside my keggle when I get it. Looks like I should design it to leave a little wort behind and not be too greedy, huh? Maybe I'll have the siphon tube extend to about an inch above the bottom of the kettle? (with some sort of cobbled up screen--I haven't decided about that yet. Maybe the SS mesh from a toilet water supply line.)

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 03-27-2006, 06:50 PM   #4
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Right now I am siphoning from a ss kettle and I leave trub behind either by whirpooling (when it works for me) or just stopping the siphon when I really get into the muck. When I switch to my keggle I'm going to try to get the pickup as low as possible, but use a screen (bazooka tube or somesuch). I'm willing to suck up some trub to get as much wort as possible, as long as I'm leaving the vast majority of it.

Maybe some guys on here with keggles have some good insights to what tradeoffs to make.

Old 03-27-2006, 06:55 PM   #5
cweston

Recipes 

I'm thinking that with a bazooka screen or something like it, and whole hops, the hops would also form a nice filter bed in the bottom and filter out some of the break trub.

I know pellets tend to clog bazooka screens (and probably the SS toilet line screen, too).

I'm thinking I'll just use the panty hose for pellets. It's kinda hot seeing the looks the teenage cashiers give me when I buy them, anyway.

Secondary:

Old 03-27-2006, 07:25 PM   #6
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
I'm thinking I'll just use the panty hose for pellets.
I was thinking about that last night. I can get a box of like 50 knee high stockings from Walgreens for like a buck. What I was thinking was to sanatize one, put it into the primary and hold it in place with a rubber band around the neck of the carboy then when I am transfering my wort from kettle to carboy just run it through the stocking. When I'm done pull the stocking out and toss it in the garbage.

I was wondering though, as the stocking fills up with crap it will streachout fromthe wieght. Once it streches will it really be effective for filtering? or will I end up withthe same problem of it becoming clogged too fast?

Old 03-27-2006, 07:31 PM   #7
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Wouldn't it wind up with a huge wad of trub (assuming it's effective) that would be impossible to get through the neck of the carboy?

Old 03-27-2006, 07:35 PM   #8
El Pistolero

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von BeeGee
Maybe some guys on here with keggles have some good insights to what tradeoffs to make.
tnlandsailor's hop stopper works pretty good for me...it's a little pricey, but nothing but wort is coming out of that keggle, whether you're using pellets or leaf. As far as trade-offs go, I think if you get it adjusted just right you're not gonna leave more than 1-2 pints of wort behind (not counting hop absorption or course).

[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

Old 03-27-2006, 08:02 PM   #9
cweston

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumbaa
I was thinking about that last night. I can get a box of like 50 knee high stockings from Walgreens for like a buck. What I was thinking was to sanatize one, put it into the primary and hold it in place with a rubber band around the neck of the carboy then when I am transfering my wort from kettle to carboy just run it through the stocking. When I'm done pull the stocking out and toss it in the garbage.

I was wondering though, as the stocking fills up with crap it will streachout fromthe wieght. Once it streches will it really be effective for filtering? or will I end up withthe same problem of it becoming clogged too fast?
If you wanted to do this, I think you'd have to use a big funnel and put the nylons inside the funnel.

Might work with whole hops. My experience with trying to strain pellet hops in any such manner is very frustrating. If I use pellet hops, I get a good whirlpool in the kettle, let it rest. and siphon off the edge. Then I strain just that last pint or so.

Secondary:

Old 03-27-2006, 08:58 PM   #10
jeffg

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you are getting a lot of grain trube, try filtering your wort as it come out of your mashtun into your brew kettle before you boil it, and then filter it again going into the carboy after boil. I use a food grade plastic funnel with mesh screen and it works well.

Bottled: Salvator Dopplebock
Up Next: Octoberfest

Quick Reply