Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Measuring you mash temps?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2006, 10:35 PM   #11
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts

I really am not trying to pick on anybody or piss anybody off, but I am wondering how much this really matters. If you use the same equipment, even if it is off the standard somewhat, you will get consistent results and so you can keep good records based on readings from the same tools.

Lets face it, there are so many variables in this game that focusing on something like calibration of a thermometer seems to me to be a wild goose chase. I mean, for example, do you check and adjust your ph everytime, read your malt analysis sheets, chart hop age and storage, map your temperature fluctuations during fermentation, and so forth.

My point is simply not to worry too much or spend money on things with the idea that they will be the silver bullet for making great beer everytime. I believe that consistency is key, and a $2 dairy thermo can give you that. IMHO.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2006, 11:50 PM   #12
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Not pissing me off, lol.

I don't worry about too much, but if I can make a better beer using a thermometer that is "right on" then that is what I'll do if the cost isn't too much.
I do have one thermo that I do use and trust to a point. I have come to the point
of tweaking my process a little.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 11-27-2006, 12:31 AM   #13
Erbium:YAG

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If you want something you can trust, go with this one. It is NIST traceable, meaning it has been calibrated to a standard tracable to the National Institute of Standards and Technology.

http://www.professionalequipment.com...qx/default.htm

Quick Reply