Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Maximizing Efficiency when Batch Sparging

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2009, 07:56 PM   #51
impatient
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post
If you want to save a small bit of time, this would be true. However, this thread is about maximizing your efficiency, in which case it is a good idea to stir your mash after adding new sparge water (stirring and vorlaufing only takes me a couple of minutes, so it is worth it IMO).
Cool, I'll try it next time.

Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled: Pale Ale, IPA, Extra Pale Ale
Kegged: Hoppy Vienna Lager
Drinking: AllBitterNoFlavorTonOMunich Ale, Amber Ale, Cream of Three Crops
Soon: SA Black Lager Clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2009, 09:51 PM   #52
KopyKat

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Denny wrote:

Quote:
My process and results are like Jerry's.
My process and results I learned from Denny.

Thanks Denny,

You have helped me and countless others with your batch sparge writeup and your posts on various forums.

Primary: Belgian Blonde (for cask)
Drinking: Robust Porter
Up Next: Christmas Ale, SNPA, Simcoe IPA

AustinZealots.com
Home of the Austin Zealot's Inquisition

Old 01-19-2009, 04:12 PM   #53
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 420 Times on 320 Posts
Likes Given: 503

We all help each other, man....that's the great thing about this hobby!

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

funnycreature Likes This 
Old 01-24-2009, 01:44 AM   #54
mummasan
Recipes 

Default better eff

I was getting in the sixties with my 'into the boiler' efficiency. My process was to mill the grain at the LHBS that is set at .40, mash for 60 minutes and then do a single sparge. I was unhappy with my eff into the boiler, so I started doing an infusion to bring the grain to 170 before lautering. That raised my eff a few points, but I was still in the sixties.

I made a friend and used his crankandstein set at .30 and my eff went up to the mid seventies, but it is a pain to borrow his mill every time I want to brew.

Finally, after almost two years of brewing, I discovered that I can use grain crushed at .40, mash for 60 minutes, infuse with boiling water to raise temp to 170 and then lauter slowly into the kettle, then sparge at 170, then lauter slowly, and I can get in the eighties for eff into the kettle.

My mash tun has copper tubing connected to a ball valve to get the wort out. For two years I had been just opening it up and letting it rip when I lauter. For grain milled at .30 my efficiency is good when I lauter fast, but for grain milled at .40 I need to lauter slower to get good efficiency.

Old 01-24-2009, 03:10 AM   #55
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummasan View Post
For grain milled at .30 my efficiency is good when I lauter fast, but for grain milled at .40 I need to lauter slower to get good efficiency.
What is the mash thickness that you use to mash with?

One thing that can happen is that as you thin out and raise the temp of the mash that you convert some more of the starches that haven't been converted so far. The slower you lauter the more time you give this conversion. Since the conversion happens at higher temps you should have also seen a drop in attenuation for the beers done with .40 grain and a slow lauter compared to the ones done with .40 grain and a fast lauter.

Another effect might be that it takes longer for the sugars to be washed out of the larger grits and that a longer rest after the addition of sparge water benefits this process.

Kai

Old 01-24-2009, 05:15 PM   #56
mummasan
Recipes 

I mash with 1.0 quarts per gallon

Old 01-24-2009, 11:15 PM   #57
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Try 2 qt/lb next time and see how much efficiency you get w/o using the mash-out.

Kai

Old 02-16-2009, 05:26 AM   #58
mummasan
Recipes 

My last batch I tried mashing with 2 qt/lb and skipped the mash out - I got 74% efficiency into the kettle. I'm happy with this - I can skip the mash out and just do one sparge which makes the brew day a bit quicker.

Now I can follow recipes and come close to the target gravities. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:55 PM   #59
nyctreasure
Recipes 

Nice work. I m also trying to build up some good points on extraction efficiency. I will surely share all related issues here. Hope it may prove useful for some. For more details, members can pm me. I m always there at the service.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:58 PM   #60
Pangea
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

This comment doesn't increase efficiency from the Mash, but it is something I've learned that should be kept in mind by all grain brewers.

The two most important numbers during the brew are the OG after the boil and the gravity before the boil (in my humble opinion!).

I did all sorts of reading and research before starting to brew and didn't really see a lot about checking the gravity before boiling. It really is one of the most important checks in the process. If you know your boil off rate (you should) you can calculate what the gravity should be in order to nail your OG. When I batch sparge, I just keep batching and diluting whats already in the boil kettle until I hit my desired pre-boil gravity. Ever since I started doing this I've never missed my OG.

Pangea

Last edited by Pangea; 04-27-2009 at 10:29 PM.

Quick Reply