Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Maximizing Efficiency when Batch Sparging

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2013, 06:56 PM   #261
afr0byte
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddiebosox View Post
Here's a picture:
http://imgur.com/GzSv2aS

I assume everyone gets the same dimension sized sheet.
I looked at the manual. Apparently they intend for it to be placed under the pot with the longest side of the rectangle facing out towards you. I guess I just had it oriented incorrectly. Thanks for the info.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 07:04 AM   #262
Puddlethumper
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post

When batch sparging, the temperature of the mash-out and/or sparge water influence your extract efficiency. You want to make sure that either your mash-out infusion or your first batch sparge addition are hot enough to raise the grist to as close to 170 F as possible. This allows more sugar to be dissolved and reduces viscosity to facilitate easier lautering, both of which will improve your efficiency.
I hope you are still following this thread. I found it very helpful. I am a new brewer and breaking into all grain brewing. I keep missing my O.G. numbers (as suggested by the recipes) and am trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

My question about the statement above has to do with the 170F sparge temperature. I thought I underestood that at 165-170 we need to be concerned with tannin extraction. For that reason I've tried to hold my batch sparge in the mid 150's. Aren't tannins an issue here?

--------

Beer ----

--- the reason I wake up every afternoon.

------

Reason: typo

Old 03-06-2013, 05:21 PM   #263
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 544

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddlethumper View Post
My question about the statement above has to do with the 170F sparge temperature. I thought I underestood that at 165-170 we need to be concerned with tannin extraction. For that reason I've tried to hold my batch sparge in the mid 150's. Aren't tannins an issue here?
Tannin extraction is most closely tied to high pH. As long as your pH is correct, you're good. Ever heard of a decoction mash? You boil the grain, which is certainly hotter than 170! It works because the pH is low enough to not extract undesirable tannins. I always use 185+ water for sparging. It helps complete the gelatinization and conversion of starches.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 03-07-2013, 01:27 AM   #264
Puddlethumper
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
I always use 185+ water for sparging. It helps complete the gelatinization and conversion of starches.
Great info! Thanks! And yes I had heard of decoction and didn't put the pieces together in my mind. (duhh) I'll bet we are closing in on my low OG problem.

So what pH range is best?

--------

Beer ----

------

Old 03-07-2013, 04:26 PM   #265
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 544

Quote:
Great info! Thanks! And yes I had heard of decoction and didn't put the pieces together in my mind. (duhh) I'll bet we are closing in on my low OG problem.

So what pH range is best?
You want the mash to be 5.2-5.4 at room temp.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 03-07-2013, 04:42 PM   #266
afr0byte
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
You want the mash to be 5.2-5.4 at room temp.
Hmm, Bru'n Water recommends 5.3 - 5.5 at room temperature? EZ Water recommends 5.4-5.6. I personally tend to shoot for about 5.4.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:19 AM   #267
Puddlethumper
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

OK, so here's the question ... I've got my mash perking along at 152 per the recipe - how do I determine the pH? Take a sample, let it cool then stick some litmus paper in it?

Also, what temperature is the grain during the sparge? Assuming we introduce 185F water into grain that is already at 145-150 from the mash, what temperature are we shooting for in the lauter tun during the sparge?

--------

Beer ----

------

Old 03-08-2013, 05:25 AM   #268
sherma
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Also, what temperature is the grain during the sparge? Assuming we introduce 185F water into grain that is already at 145-150 from the mash, what temperature are we shooting for in the lauter tun during the sparge?
Temp doesn't matter at that point.
primary: CDA #2
primary: Evil Twin Red
primary: Mosaic Single Hop Pale
Bottled: Oddsides Citra Pale clone, India Cream Ale, CDA #1, Cascadian Dubbel
On deck: Surly Abrasive clone, Yooper's Pale Ale

Old 03-08-2013, 05:30 AM   #269
Puddlethumper
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Default ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherma View Post
Temp doesn't matter at that point.
Wow! Now I'm really confused. Help me with this if you can. I've been given to understand that temperature is critical - too low and it doesn't convert the enymes in the grain -- too high and it leaches the tannins in the grain husks and releases puckery tannins into the wort. You are saying temperature doesn't matter? I'm trying to keep up with you and I am not doubting what you are saying, it's just that what you are saying seems to fly in the face of everything else I (think) I have learned to this point.

--------

Beer ----

------

Old 03-08-2013, 05:38 AM   #270
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 240 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:

Wow! Now I'm really confused. Help me with this if you can. I've been given to understand that temperature is critical - too low and it doesn't convert the enymes in the grain -- too high and it leaches the tannins in the grain husks and releases puckery tannins into the wort. You are saying temperature doesn't matter? I'm trying to keep up with you and I am not doubting what you are saying, it's just that what you are saying seems to fly in the face of everything else I (think) I have learned to this point.
When you get to the sparge, conversion has already happened. And as Denny stated, it is pH, not temperature, that is most responsible for tannin extraction.

Fake it til you make it.

Quick Reply