Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Maximizing Efficiency when Batch Sparging

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2012, 05:24 PM   #221
Denny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 437 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 530

I just kept adjusting my mill tighter and tighter until I got a slow runoff. I backed off the gap just a hair at that point and it's been that way for the last 12-13 years.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 02:53 AM   #222
Haputanlas
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
I just kept adjusting my mill tighter and tighter until I got a slow runoff. I backed off the gap just a hair at that point and it's been that way for the last 12-13 years.
Good idea. That's definitely what I'm going to do.

I'm sure this efficiency deficiency is going to clear up.

I feel like I'm on school house rock!

"There is no strong beer, only weak men"
"Pretty women make us BUY beer, ugly women make us DRINK beer" - Al Bundy
"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for a day. Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk for the rest of his life."

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

Old 12-21-2012, 02:01 PM   #223
skullface1818
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Ive always had difficulty getting my fly sarge up to 170....... I typically get my water boiling hot (230 degrees), and after I put the stuff through my strainer it almost always seems to just measure out to barley above my initial infusion....

no bother, I tend to average +75% efficiency, so I'm ok with my process

Old 12-26-2012, 12:45 AM   #224
Haputanlas
Recipes 

Thanks to much of the insight on this thread, I've finally broken the 80% barrier.

Not only that, i almost got to 90. I hit 87%. Definitely a record for me.

Thanks to Denny and flyguy for all the great info.

"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for a day. Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk for the rest of his life."

Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter

Old 12-26-2012, 04:20 PM   #225
Haputanlas
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haputanlas View Post
Thanks to much of the insight on this thread, I've finally broken the 80% barrier.

Not only that, i almost got to 90. I hit 87%. Definitely a record for me.

Thanks to Denny and flyguy for all the great info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post

By the way, the main difference between my 50-60% batches and this one was the crush. Much more fine than previous crushes.

Old 12-26-2012, 05:47 PM   #226
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 437 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 530

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haputanlas View Post
By the way, the main difference between my 50-60% batches and this one was the crush. Much more fine than previous crushes.

Good on ya, man!

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 12-30-2012, 01:19 AM   #227
afr0byte
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullface1818 View Post
Ive always had difficulty getting my fly sarge up to 170....... I typically get my water boiling hot (230 degrees), and after I put the stuff through my strainer it almost always seems to just measure out to barley above my initial infusion....

no bother, I tend to average +75% efficiency, so I'm ok with my process
Were you boiling under pressure?

Old 01-08-2013, 12:23 AM   #228
Viejo
Rebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

OK, time for another chapter in my elusive quest for efficiency gains. I've been averaging 72% using Denny's hose braid, then subsequently with a new copper collection manifold I made following John Palmer's guidelines. No difference, really. I have been watching the crush like a hawk, even double milling just to be sure. On my last session yesterday, my efficiency actually dropped to 67%. Really disappointing. I'm stirring thoroughly at dough-in, then again at 30 minutes, then stirring thoroughly before vorlaufing each of two equal sparge additions, and it all looks great. I'm hitting my water volumes spot on, but the pre-boil gravity comes in 4 points low. So, I boil longer to get the OG I want, which requires that I recalculate the hop timing to get the target IBUs. After 105 minutes, I finally get my target OG.

The guys at my LHBS just installed a new mill and they say their mash efficiencies have gone UP, to about 85%, and asked me to report how I did. Well, mine's going down. I have to say that this particular mash was designed to be pretty high gravity. I was going for an Imperial IPA at 8% ABV, so I used more base malt than before, adjusting the water volumes appropriately. Total grain bill = 17 lbs for a net volume of 6.375 gal. At 75%, I should have had 1.058 pre-boil gravity and 7.5 gal in the boil kettle (corrected to 68 F); volume was good, but the gravity was 1.054.

What's up?!?

Old 01-08-2013, 12:30 AM   #229
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1255 Times on 834 Posts
Likes Given: 573

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viejo View Post
OK, time for another chapter in my elusive quest for efficiency gains. I've been averaging 72% using Denny's hose braid, then subsequently with a new copper collection manifold I made following John Palmer's guidelines. No difference, really. I have been watching the crush like a hawk, even double milling just to be sure. On my last session yesterday, my efficiency actually dropped to 67%. Really disappointing. I'm stirring thoroughly at dough-in, then again at 30 minutes, then stirring thoroughly before vorlaufing each of two equal sparge additions, and it all looks great. I'm hitting my water volumes spot on, but the pre-boil gravity comes in 4 points low. So, I boil longer to get the OG I want, which requires that I recalculate the hop timing to get the target IBUs. After 105 minutes, I finally get my target OG.

The guys at my LHBS just installed a new mill and they say their mash efficiencies have gone UP, to about 85%, and asked me to report how I did. Well, mine's going down. I have to say that this particular mash was designed to be pretty high gravity. I was going for an Imperial IPA at 8% ABV, so I used more base malt than before, adjusting the water volumes appropriately. Total grain bill = 17 lbs for a net volume of 6.375 gal. At 75%, I should have had 1.058 pre-boil gravity and 7.5 gal in the boil kettle (corrected to 68 F); volume was good, but the gravity was 1.054.

What's up?!?
Depending on your system, ~70% might just be everything working fine. The question you should be asking yourself is if you are losing sugars from poor conversion or from incomplete lautering. With a few measurements and calculations, you can separate out the various components of your net efficiency. As often as not, the problem is simply that you're leaving water and thus sugars behind, either in the grain or in deadspace.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-09-2013, 09:48 PM   #230
Viejo
Rebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

OK, I'll bite. How do I parse the results to determine the culprit? I haven't figured out how to do that.

One thing that's different in my latest session is I was mashing quite a bit more grain than usual, looking for a higher gravity. So, the mash was thicker. Also, in contrast to previous sessions, I didn't heat the sparge water quite so hot (near boiling before), which probably reduced the fluidity some. How much do temperature and water/grain ratio matter in a batch sparge system? I've been splitting the total sparge volume into two equal infusions. Maybe I should go back to a single sparge?

Quick Reply