Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Maximizing Efficiency when Batch Sparging

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 02:37 PM   #211
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1235 Times on 821 Posts
Likes Given: 563

Quote:
Originally Posted by keanex View Post
Thanks for your posts, it's gotten me less worried about my methods. This time I made sure to stir much more aggressively and thoroughly than ever before so it can't be that. Our mash also stayed at 152 the entire time, I made sure to check the temps throughout the mash and only noticed a 1 degree deviation at most, so 151-153.
Your goal on your next brew should be to figure out if your problems are with conversion efficiency or lauter efficiency. They're two very different things with very different causes (and, likewise, very different solutions). The Braukaiser website has a table that estimates what your gravity should be in the mash tun at the end of mash. If you're significantly off from that, you're having trouble getting the starch out of the grain and turned into sugar. I suspect that's what's happening here.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 03:20 PM   #212
keanex
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Thanks, I'm sober/not tired now so I will read that resource, thanks very much. Our next plan though, for equipment, is buying this. I can't wait for consistency.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:55 PM   #213
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 517

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalFet View Post
If you're playing with a new, coarser crush, that is likely the explanation for everything.
Agreed. I have found that runoff speed plays no part in my efficiency and multiple sparges increase my efficiency little to none at all.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 11-19-2012, 11:08 PM   #214
mpjay2000
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I have been consistently hitting 50% efficiency. It's been very frustrating and I have been reading everything I can to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I sometimes add DME to the boil to bump it up where it needs to be, but I'm sick of doing that.

I have pretty much tried to emulate Denny in my brewing and learned how to batch sparge from reading his stuff. I use a 10 gallon cooler as a mashtun and keggles to heat sparge water and do my boil.

I did notice that I got up to 58% with a kit I bought online from More Beer but the rest of my grain I have gotten locally.

So, besides buying a grain mill what could I try different in my process to get my numbers up a bit?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Mpjay

Old 11-19-2012, 11:14 PM   #215
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1235 Times on 821 Posts
Likes Given: 563

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpjay2000 View Post
I have been consistently hitting 50% efficiency. It's been very frustrating and I have been reading everything I can to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I sometimes add DME to the boil to bump it up where it needs to be, but I'm sick of doing that.

I have pretty much tried to emulate Denny in my brewing and learned how to batch sparge from reading his stuff. I use a 10 gallon cooler as a mashtun and keggles to heat sparge water and do my boil.

I did notice that I got up to 58% with a kit I bought online from More Beer but the rest of my grain I have gotten locally.

So, besides buying a grain mill what could I try different in my process to get my numbers up a bit?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Mpjay
This is a very common problem, but the only response we can really offer is to suggest that you do some diagnostics to figure out what your problem actually is. Right now, we'd only really be guessing. The key is to document your process carefully with good, accurate measurements, especially including different gravity readings at different points in the mash.

Check this link for some good experimental procedures:
http://www.braukaiser.com/wiki/index...use_Efficiency

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 11-20-2012, 12:50 AM   #216
keanex
Recipes 

So update, we got a more fine grind and brewed today, 81% efficiency. Feels good!

Old 11-20-2012, 03:53 PM   #217
Denny
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keanex View Post
So update, we got a more fine grind and brewed today, 81% efficiency. Feels good!
Good to hear! That's almost always the cause and solution.

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 11-26-2012, 05:35 PM   #218
Starderup
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Wasn't it Denny that said, "Crush till yer skeered"?

<priceless quote>My dog dropped his bone in my fermentor while I wasn't looking.</end quote>

Old 11-26-2012, 07:35 PM   #219
Denny
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starderup View Post
Wasn't it Denny that said, "Crush till yer skeered"?
It was indeed!

www.dennybrew.com

Old 11-30-2012, 07:38 PM   #220
Haputanlas
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Subscribed. Been getting too many batches in the 50ish range and going to try a few things on this list.

I believe my problem is the crush because my mill produces 33% flour, 33% perfect crush, and 33% whole and uncrushed (Maybe a little less on the whole). I'm using a corona style mill that wobbles alot (Trying to fix that).

I was told that I shouldn't have any problems closing the gap even further and allow it to produce more flour (Just make sure that none of the grains are whole).

My worst fear with doing this though is extracting tannins from the overly crushed husks. However, I am under the impression that if I don't over extract or too high of a PH that I'll be fine.

Just an FYI, I am using Denny's setup for the mash tun (Stainless braid) and haven't had any problems thus far with stuck sparges.

"There is no strong beer, only weak men"
"Pretty women make us BUY beer, ugly women make us DRINK beer" - Al Bundy
"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for a day. Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk for the rest of his life."

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

Quick Reply