Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Maximizing Efficiency when Batch Sparging

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2012, 08:28 PM   #141
Kuhndog
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

What is the preferred method of batch sparging then? Are you putting all the volume of water in at once? 50/50? 1/3 then 2/3? Are you bringing up the wort to a mashout of 170? Are you even doing a mashout?

It would be nice to have some of the sticky discussions blanked out and then the latest info put as the baseline again unless something new has been discovered.

Of course BIABers would say you don't need to sparge - which is funny because it goes against everything that Palmer and Pap have said about water pH and such as well as keeping the water to grain ratio low.

I just want a simple yet relative efficient way of getting that sugar out. If a batch sparge with 1/3 total volume upfront and 2/3 remainder gets me in the upper 70s-low 80s - I'll be content with that method. I don't want to go down the fly sparge or sparging 4-5 times for a couple of percent but at the same token I don't want to BIAB at 60-70% either...can't do it anyhow because I only have a 8 gal kettle. Can someone paraphase batch parging for me?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 08:41 PM   #142
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhndog View Post
What is the preferred method of batch sparging then? Are you putting all the volume of water in at once? 50/50? 1/3 then 2/3? Are you bringing up the wort to a mashout of 170? Are you even doing a mashout?

It would be nice to have some of the sticky discussions blanked out and then the latest info put as the baseline again unless something new has been discovered.

Of course BIABers would say you don't need to sparge - which is funny because it goes against everything that Palmer and Pap have said about water pH and such as well as keeping the water to grain ratio low.

I just want a simple yet relative efficient way of getting that sugar out. If a batch sparge with 1/3 total volume upfront and 2/3 remainder gets me in the upper 70s-low 80s - I'll be content with that method. I don't want to go down the fly sparge or sparging 4-5 times for a couple of percent but at the same token I don't want to BIAB at 60-70% either...can't do it anyhow because I only have a 8 gal kettle. Can someone paraphase batch parging for me?
Mash with whatever ratio you like. I use 1.6-1.75 qt./lb. Mashout not necessary. After you runoff the mash, measure how much you have and subtract that from your total boil volume. The answer you get is how much sparge water to use. Heat that amount to about 190F and stir it in. Vorlauf and runoff like you did for the mash. Bingo, you;re done. I average 85% efficiency with that method.

See www.dennybrew.com for more detailed info if you want to.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 03-05-2012, 08:46 PM   #143
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Liked 6328 Times on 5484 Posts
Likes Given: 850

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Mash with whatever ratio you like.
I agree. I tend to mash with whatever ratio gets me an easy to measure volume of water (3 gallons for example, compared to a set ratio that may wind up with 2.68 gallons needed).

There are too many variables at the homebrewer scale that are difficult to measure with complete reliability, so I find whole volumes of water eaiset to deal with for me.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:51 PM   #144
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Totally agree with both of the above. There are so many other variables that are far more important. I'm not gonna waste time measuring out fractions of quarts on brew day - it just doesn't make enough difference.

I do measure my runoff/collection volumes precisely though - that is worth getting right.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:52 PM   #145
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Liked 6328 Times on 5484 Posts
Likes Given: 850

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
I do measure my runoff/collection volumes precisely though - that is worth getting right.
Adjusting for expansion/contraction based on temperature, right?

Old 03-05-2012, 08:56 PM   #146
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
Adjusting for expansion/contraction based on temperature, right?
Absolutely...using Kaiser's brewsheets. Good clarification.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:01 PM   #147
thirstyutahn
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Kuhn,

I can't stand when people overcomplicate things. After reading a ton on batch sparging and after tweaking my method a little at a time using a lot of info posted from Denny(thanks!) I've come to a very simple, easy and efficient technique that I get a pretty constant 80-82% effeciency from and more importantly delicious beer.

Hope this helps.

Figure out for your system what your preboil volume needs to be. For me its 7 gallons. Now for every batch you do just figure out what amount of strike water gets you half your pre boil volume...(1.4-1.6 qt per pound of grain...whatever it is). Mix your strike water really really well so the tempurature is consistant throughout and no dough balls. After the mash drain your tun, and add the other half of your preboil volume(3.5 gallons for me). I add my sparge water at about 195-200 and it brings my grain bed to around 170. Stir the crap out of the it and then vorloff and drain as quickly as it will drain. I too found that double batch sparging does very very little for me. Its way faster to just do a single sparge and I'd gladly give up 1-2% effeciency to save time. One important thing ive found too is make sure you get every drop of wort you can...definitely don't leave any behind because maybe you are going to overshoot your pre boil volume. Grain crush was the other big help to get me where I wanted to be. I have a pretty fine crush which seemed to help quite a bit.

It really is as simple as that. A lot of people I think try to overcomplicate it. I found experimenting myself and drawing testing the theories talked about here was the most helpful thing. Test it for yourself don't let 100 different peoples opinions influence you. You don't even know if they make good beer .

Old 03-05-2012, 09:05 PM   #148
thirstyutahn
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Wow took me so long to respond ya got quite a few responses haha. Guess that's what I get for having big thumbs and trying to type on my touch screen phone.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:59 PM   #149
itrider
Recipes 

Default Question about quick mash/sparge draining

After 15 pages of reading and checking out links to other resources...I have come up with a question. Several sources say to drain the mash and sparge as quickly as possible after the grain bed has set.

What happens if you drain it slowly? I ask because I just made a batch yesterday and slowed down the draining (unlike my previous batches). I'm not sure if I have a combination of problems (e.g. grain crush, less boil off, etc), but my OG was WAY!!!! low. It ended being 1.072 when it should have been around 1.086.

I'm sure the beer will turn out fine, but I'm wondering where or what went wrong. I do think the grain could have been crushed slightly finer, but it is a learning process for me

Old 03-12-2012, 08:05 PM   #150
thirstyutahn
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Well if you're batch sparging you just wasted time. That's the really.nice thing about batch sparging, its really fast. You draining slowly definitely didn't cause you're og problem. You'd have to explain your process and whether or not you crushed your own grains etc.

Quick Reply