Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Maximizing Efficiency when Batch Sparging

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2011, 03:45 AM   #121
Beernip
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by matalec1984 View Post
First off thank you for the information, this makes me feel much better about my efficiency on this latest batch. my hydrometer is calibrated to 68, and the wort was around 140 my pre-boil reading was about 1.038 Temp corrected is 1.053 and my expect was 1.057.

My question now moves to my actual OG. I finished with 5 gal of wort into my primary. Took my initial Grav reading and got 1.052 temp corrected to 1.054 which is much lower then my expected OG. I feel like something must be wrong here. Any thoughts?
My first thought is that the initial reading is off. Any temperature adjustment above 100* will be inaccurate IMHO. You need to cool down the sample first before taking a reading. Pour it in to a glass and keep it around until the end if you want to check back after it is at 68. What was your expected starting gravity and expected efficiency?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2011, 09:05 PM   #122
matalec1984
Recipes 

Thanks again for everyone's advice. After thinking about it for a few it came to me as well that I should let the wort cool and then take a preboil grav reading later on once it has cooled. Furthermore since I was a little tipsy when doing this the other day I forgot to temp correct my OG as well. I generally haven't worried about efficiency in the pst and always remember to temp correct my OG but somehow I didn't the other day.

My temp correct pre-boil was 1.054 which may be inaccurate do to the temp it was taken at. The expected was 1.057

My OG temp corrected was 1.057 expected was 1.061

Not as bad as I originally thought.

Bottled:ESB, Rye Dog Pale Ale V.1, All the Kings Horses Pilsner v.1, Imperial Pumpkin Ale, Daywalker Red Ale v.1,Hazelnut Spiced Porter, 2009 Red Meritage, 2011 Dry Mead, 2009 New England Cyser, 2009 South African Shiraz, 2009 Chilean Chardonnay, 2011 Dry Johannisburg Riesling
Primary: Vanilla Milk stout v.2 and v.3, Chocolate Raspberry Port
Secondary:Italian Barolo, Cran-Blackberry Melomel, Peach Icewine
On Deck:Isla's Boon Strawberry Blonde v.1, Caramel Apple Mead

Old 02-15-2012, 05:05 AM   #123
firebirdude
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just starting to get the idea of all-grain brewing. But question, why do we not soak the sparge water at all? We soak strike water for 60 minutes to give it time to collect the sugars, etc..... but wouldn't allowing the sparge water to soak for 20-30 minutes be similarly beneficial?

Old 02-15-2012, 05:15 AM   #124
chass3
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

it's because during the mash, enzymes are converting starches to sugars. In the sparge, all we're doing is aiding in collecting enough sugar to hit our target OG, not converting anymore.

The mash is much, much more than just a soak.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:48 PM   #125
firebirdude
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

But what harm would come from allowing the sparge water to soak for even 15 minutes? If any starches have not fully converted to sugars, this may give that last 5% of them the opportunity to do so. Additionally, holding the sparge water in place for at least a few minutes might help ensure it has a chance to touch every bit of the grain, rather than begin to channel or miss one particular spot. It just seems like only good things could come from giving the sparge water some time.

This way of thinking is what's also causing me to not understand how fly sparging could in any way increase efficiency.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:21 PM   #126
ASantiago
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I leave the sparge water in for 15 minutes. Some thoughts about that:

• At the higher temp the sparge water will be, the enzymes will be denatured anyway (or well on their way to that), so it doesn't seem to me there is a heck of a lot of conversion happening.
  • I like the soaking precisely because of what you said: better rinsing and hopefully yield. But also, at the higher temperature, I believe the viscosity of the liquid goes down, so there is less risk (minimal as it may be to begin with) of a stuck sparge.
  • Because it's a one-time thing (unless you do multiple spargings for the same batch), I don't think pH is affected (in a downward manner) the way it is with fly sparging.

I'm fairly sure this information is solid, but welcome feedback on it.
Fermenting: Janet's Brown Ale-ish
Conditioning: Simcoe-Centennial IPA in Oak Barrel
Enjoying: Witbier, Simcoe-Centennial IPA

Old 02-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #127
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1019 Times on 679 Posts
Likes Given: 28

If conversion is not 100% at the time you introduce a batch sparge, the elevated temps will give it that last push. Enzymes do not denature instantly and higher temps do make them act faster just before they are choked out (not really, they're just chemicals).

If conversion WAS complete, the longer soak would only increase efficiency if your crush was abnormally coarse such that diffusion of sugar from a large bit of endosperm was buffered in some way. Fix your crush, adjust your mill, etc.

Firebirddude, there is no concept of channeling in batch sparging. All the wort in the tun after you stir the sparge addition in, is exactly the same concentration of sugar. Regarding your post above, the 60 minute rest is to allow conversion of starch to sugar, not to "collect" the sugar.

There is no harm in allowing the sparge to sit, but at worst it would be a waste of time. All grain brew days are long enough as it is.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 02-15-2012, 04:58 PM   #128
Nil
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I guess that the big question that have to be answered in what is the maximum theoretical sugar that one can extract from a grain. If this amount varies from grain to grain, then it will be very complex to calculate efficiency.

I am under the impression that 40 is reference number obtained from the maximum solubility of table sugar (sucrose). Since there is a mixture of sugars in the mash and with different solubilities, it may be difficult to establish a reference "true" density value.

Once this is resolved, the optimization can be performed via a factorial experimental design, with (say) sparging volume and mill setting as factors. The measured responses may be wort density and %efficiency.

In order to get an accurate reading, I would use a two-three decimal scale and a 10-ml graduated cylinder.

Thanks, Nil

Old 02-15-2012, 06:52 PM   #129
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 438 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 531

Maybe I already posted this somewhere in this thread, but over the course of 14 years and 415 batches that have been batch sparged, I've tried a lot of different "wait times" after adding the sparge water. From 30 min. down to zero min., there has been no change whatsoever in efficiency or fermentability. You can theorize all you like, but there's the hard experimental data. Try it for yourself.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 02-15-2012, 07:17 PM   #130
firebirdude
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Fair enough. Just asking.

Thanks guys.

Quick Reply