Last week to Enter the Spike Brewing 20 Gallon Sight Glass Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Mashout and Sparging temp questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2014, 06:00 PM   #1
Yourrealdad
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 11 Posts

Default Mashout and Sparging temp questions

So after looking at other posts and blogs I think I might not be mashing correctly. My steps are as follows:

1. Preheat my round Igloo cooler
2. Mash in with water temp usually in the 160 range to give me my mash temps (determined by Beersmith). Stir well and make sure the temp in on point.
3. Mash for 60-90min depending on grain type
4. Start vorlaufing. Usually takes about 12-16 qts to get clear wort, then drain into brew kettle with a wide open valve. I get bubbles/foam in the kettle doing this.
5. Pour in sparge water which always seems to be 168 degrees according to Beersmith. Stir and wait for 15mins.
6. Vorlauf as I did for the mash. Drain with a wide open valve

Most of the time pre-boil gravity and volume are spot on and efficiency is around 75%

Here are my questions:

1. Is the bubbling wort into the kettle an issue? Hot side aeration? I have hear that is not really an issue with homebrewers, I don't have a stale flvor to my beer, but it would be easy to just buy a longer piece of tubing.

2. Should I be mashing out? Once again I have read some people say they do it and others that they don't. Will it help with mash ph or not extracting tannins?
Is the easiest way to just add boiling water and do I need to worry about the new water to grist ratio?

3. Should my sparge water be a high temp? It seems like I want my grain to be at 168 degrees and therefor my sparge water hotter?

Here is a screen shot of one of my Beersmith recipes.

Thanks again,
Kevin

screen-shot-2014-04-21-10.57.28-am.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2014, 06:40 PM   #2
Sideways
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

You are correct that you want to bring the grain temp to 168 with your "batch sparge". I dont know your grain bill but usually 180 to 185 is necessary. Dont worry about mashing out when batch sparging. Hot side aeration? Who knows.. just by a longer hose.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:48 PM   #3
aryoung1980
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Your process seems fine. I believe hot side aeration is an issue post-boil. The act of boiling will remove the oxygen in your wort.

I never mash out when I batch sparge. I take my first runnings and add my sparge water which is around 170F.

If you're hitting 75% efficiency regularly and do not have off flavors, I see no reason to alter your process. This is of course just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Old 04-21-2014, 06:57 PM   #4
moreb33rplz
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Vorlaufing with 12-16 qts? I must not understand this. When I start to drain my mash I collect 1-2 qts of the first runnings that are cloudy, and then dump them back in. I repeat this with each of my sparges.

Have I been doing that wrong? Isn't 12-16 quarts more than what you would use in the mash for a typical 5 gal batch?

Old 04-21-2014, 09:23 PM   #5
aryoung1980
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moreb33rplz View Post
Vorlaufing with 12-16 qts?

Have I been doing that wrong?

I vorlauf 2-3 liters. You can vorlauf your a** off if you wanted to but once the grain bed is set, it's set. I would think 12-16qts is excessive but I don't know his system or how fine of a crush he is using.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:05 PM   #6
Yourrealdad
Recipes 

Sorry don't know what I was thinking 6-8 qts. I know that still seems like a lot to some of you, but that is what it takes.

I am having some off flavors and in my darker (porters, stouts) a little tannic off flavors, just seeing if it might have to do with not mashing out or too low of sparge temps.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:01 AM   #7
Sideways
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

[QUOTE=

I am having some off flavors and in my darker (porters, stouts) a little tannic off flavors, just seeing if it might have to do with not mashing out or too low of sparge temps.[/QUOTE]

Those dont sound like the culprit. You may want to look into your water chemistry.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:27 AM   #8
aryoung1980
Recipes 

I'm thinking it's your mash pH if it's only with your dark grains

Old 04-22-2014, 12:59 AM   #9
cease
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Agreed, if your other brews are coming out ok and it's just your dark beers with the off flavors it may be your mash PH which could be related to your brewing water chemistry.

Get some cheap PH strips to test. Your process looks good though.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:05 PM   #10
Yourrealdad
Recipes 

Thanks. I think there is an off flavor in all of my beers but it is fainter in say an IPA and no one else I give them too seems to think that there is an issue. Starting to work on figuring out my ph and water chemistry stuff.

And I guess I have gotten two answers for sparge water temp. One person has said around 180 degress and the other has said around 170. Which do I go with?

Quick Reply