The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Mashing - starting w/ cold water

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2011, 03:45 PM   #1
sasabs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Mashing - starting w/ cold water

I am mashing in a kettle - not an MT cooler. What are the potential problems (if any) of adding my grain to cool water and then heating the water to 150+ mash temperature?

[SIZE="1"]Give a man a beer he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew he'll waste a lifetime

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2011, 04:08 PM   #2
Mb2658
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It will take you longer to get up to temperature and you will have to be careful not to scorch your grains. What are you trying to accomplish by adding the grains to cold water?

Old 12-19-2011, 05:01 PM   #3
airving
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Why not just heat the water to the appropriate strike temp and the add the grains? I think the time it takes to get there will be roughly the same whether you add the grains to the water first or not, but you can't burn water. And it's much easier to get a uniform temp reading from water - I'd be afraid of serious hot spots in the mash if I was direct firing to bring it all the way up to temp.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:21 PM   #4
BlackVelvetBand
Recipes 

Dunno. Going out on a limb here, but starting with cold(er) water would give you a chance to at least get some maltase/dextrinase/glucanase/etc. activity going, wouldn't it? Not significant, since I think the temp. ranges for those enzymes are somewhat small. Plus, if you're not planning on pausing at those temperatures, it'd be a cursory step at most - as the temperature builds towards your 150+, those will start denaturing.

The unfortunate thing about non-amylase enzymes seems to be that they work best after amylase has had its way with the starches...which is opposite the way you'd wish it to work out if you're trying to be efficient and hit all the enzyme ranges on the way up.

Damn you, nature!!

So...in the end, I don't really think you'd get much of anything out of doing that.

-

Unless someone else knows of any potential benefits associated with steeping grains in cold water?

-

(1 last thought: one benefit I can think of for doing it the tried-and-true way of mashing after reaching your high temperature, is that adding grains to the hot water can help cool it back down. If you're heating your heating your water until it reaches desired temp., then it'll keep getting hotter even after you shut off your burner, right? So adding room-temp. grains will counter that and help keep you in your desired range. Maybe I'm just talking hot air there, though.)

Last edited by BlackVelvetBand; 12-30-2011 at 10:38 PM.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:33 PM   #5
DankHead
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

So, I'm bringing this thread back.

I tried a recipe I found on brewingTV, where Michael Dawson mashs in cold on a single malt quad to give him a higher abv. I tried it, and missed my mark by a mile!!! I don't know how he did it.

Episode in question:
http://brewingtv.com/episodes/2012/3...that-beer.html
Recipe:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/connec...brewing-tv-58/

Cheers!
TJ

Primary:
Chocolate Stout

Secondary:

Kegged:
BIAB Black IPA
Throw Together Pale Ale (Tropical Edition)

Quick Reply