Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Mashing & Sparging with Hopped Wort. Experience? Advice?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 03:15 PM   #1
LegitBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 7 Posts

Default Mashing & Sparging with Hopped Wort. Experience? Advice?

I've been tinkering with brewing a clone of Green Flash Palate Wrecker-- an amazing double IPA from the San Diego brewery (pretty much all of their beer i have had ended up being great). Seems no one has put forth a concerned effort to clone it respectfully. Their website mentions that they mash and sparge the brew with hopped wort. The end result is a 9.5% super dank IIPA with 100+IBUs and a fantastic balance of grain and super oniony/garlic hop taste and aroma. I sent an email to the brewery asking advice, but have yet to hear back. I believe the hop taste and aroma might have been achieved with either columbus, summit, or a combination of both. Never experimented with mashing or sparging with hopped water, let alone hopped wort. Anyone ever tried this? Was thinking of brewing a starter-esque wort from light DME with a low gravity (1.02-1.03) as a base for a couple ounces of hops each (2 oz for mash, 2 oz for sparge) for a 10 gallon batch. Any thoughts or advice welcome!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 11:31 PM   #2
zzARzz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've not mashed with hopped wort before, but I have mashed with hops tossed in with the grains and it does add a very pleasant flavor and aroma, especially in IPAs. I just brewed an IIPA (100 IBUs) with 1oz of hops in the mash and the result is a very smooth, very hoppy IIPA without the unpleasant astringency of some overly bittered IPAs I've had.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:19 AM   #3
tgmartin000
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Good stuff. I've been considering using hopped strike /sparge water, but not wort. If I recall, that beer has a huge mouthfeel. Maybe mash high, lots of gypsum, maybe some Chinook also.

Quick Reply