Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Mashing with pumpkin

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2011, 10:06 PM   #1
stbnj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Mashing with pumpkin

I have read through a bunch of threads and haven't really found an definitive answer on this. I am brewing my pumpkin beer tomorrow and am using the pumpkin in the mash. Do I need to increase the amount of water I need to account for the pumpkin? And furthermore do I need to increase my water to account for the rice hulls? I know I am in for a long day as the pumpkin will make for a very slow draining. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer, I already learned a lot on the pumpkin discussion thread.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2011, 02:08 PM   #2
BLM
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

when I made my pumpkin beer I did not add extra water it turned out fine exceptthe stuck sparge
have fun

Old 07-02-2011, 02:27 PM   #3
sagnew440
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Get ready for the longest sparge of your life, and remember if its still trickling it ain't stuck.

Old 07-03-2011, 02:43 AM   #4
stbnj
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks and yes it was the longest sparge of my life. I don't know what I am doing wrong but it takes me forever to collect the 6 gallons or so I need even in my prior batches. I am going to have to do some trouble shooting before my next brew. I have a 10 gallon rubbermaid with a steel braid. This was my 3rd all grain batch, the first 2 went pretty well, this one was much tougher. I missed my targeted gravity by a lot and had very poor efficiency. On a brighter note the beer really smells like pumpkin pie and tastes like it which is what I wanted and I had a nice yeast starter for it. Oh and using a refractometer was fun.

Quick Reply