New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Mashing overnight???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2013, 01:35 AM   #1
amaier48
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Mashing overnight???

I was thinking of mashing over night.... So it would be ready to lauter and rinse in the morning. Any thought on this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2013, 01:43 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2669 Times on 1611 Posts
Likes Given: 3465

There's lots of threads on it. Start with those in the similar threads box below. One of the guys has a great chart on fermentablilty based on temp used to overnight mashes. Just make sure your temp is overal maintained overnight, some folks wrap a sleeping bag around the tun to help

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-16-2013, 01:44 AM   #3
Effingbeer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

I think you will be extremely unhappy with the result unless you are doing a beer that needs a sour mash.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:46 AM   #4
Effingbeer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

...unless you can keep the temp pretty high. Hoping it posts before a Revvy smack down.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:50 AM   #5
amaier48
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well it's not inparitive that I do it, I was just thinking it would save time on brew day tomorrow... But I guess I'll just get up a bit earlier. Thanks ya all

Old 05-16-2013, 02:07 AM   #6
GRBC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

I've done several overnight mash batches. Love how it breaks up the brew day and gets most of it done while my kids are less active.

I will often fill my 10 gallon cooler mash-tun with as much of the mash water as possible. For a beer that is below around 1.060 I can do a no-sparge overnight mash. Basically mash in your grains with 8-9 gallons of strike water, drain to the BK in the AM and begin your boil. I get about 75% to 80% efficiency with these no sparge overnight mashes.

I think more strike water helps maintain temp in the cooler overnight. I also wrap my cooler with those big bubble wrap sheets that come in Northern Brewer packages and wrap/cover it with towels to help insulate it.

Your beer will attenuate more than a 60 minute mash at the same temp. Works great for a beer like a dry Irish stout, Munich Helles, or APA/IPA that you want to finish low. I target a mash in around 152 for those type of beers and my mash is usually around 140 after 8 - 10 hours. No issues with sour wort.

Give it a try and let us know what you think!

Old 05-16-2013, 11:24 AM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2669 Times on 1611 Posts
Likes Given: 3465

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaier48 View Post
Well it's not inparitive that I do it, I was just thinking it would save time on brew day tomorrow... But I guess I'll just get up a bit earlier. Thanks ya all
I just told you it's quite common, did you look at the other threads I suggested? I told you there's a ton of info about it. Right below these posts.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-16-2013, 01:44 PM   #8
VladOfTrub
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Enzymes become denatured with time and temp, according to the mash thickness. If the extract potential of the grain is 80%, no amount of mash time is going to increase the percentage. The minute gain from a long mash rest comes from when the hard parts of the starch, like the ones that are stuck in the tips of the grain, become softened and then absorbed into solution. If the enzymes aren't quite denatured they will convert the extra starch in solution to sugars. A decoction does the same thing by bursting the hard starch BB's, during the boiling phase, getting them into solution. Giving the enzymes more starch to work with. Hence, higher yield from a decoction using the same grain bill as an infusion.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:18 PM   #9
GRBC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladOfTrub
Enzymes become denatured with time and temp, according to the mash thickness. If the extract potential of the grain is 80%, no amount of mash time is going to increase the percentage. The minute gain from a long mash rest comes from when the hard parts of the starch, like the ones that are stuck in the tips of the grain, become softened and then absorbed into solution. If the enzymes aren't quite denatured they will convert the extra starch in solution to sugars. A decoction does the same thing by bursting the hard starch BB's, during the boiling phase, getting them into solution. Giving the enzymes more starch to work with. Hence, higher yield from a decoction using the same grain bill as an infusion.
Right. I think I am probably getting better extract conversion and slightly worse lautering efficiency with the longer mash and low/no sparge. Ends up being similar to the total mash efficiency I get from a 60 minute mash and batch sparge, but with a more fermentable wort. YMMV.

Quick Reply