Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Mashing Minute Rice/Other processed grain

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2008, 01:48 PM   #1
BrewFrick
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Mashing Minute Rice/Other processed grain

Ok, so I used the one pound of minute rice when I made the cream of 3 crops 5 gallon batch this last weekend. It got me thinking of how much this adds to the final fermentable bill and how much of it you can mash and convert in other recipes and what it would bring to the party. I know if gummed up my mash a bit at just one pound and I can use rice hulls to free it up a bit if more were used. Anyone have experience using more than a pound of this before? And what other off the grocery store shelf stuff can you use to mash with?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2008, 01:58 PM   #2
seanhagerty
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

boil the heck out of the rice...i think i boiled two pounds for an hour..I just kept adding water, then added it to the mash with some rice hulls. No issues at all, and the rice completely disappeared after an hour mash. I think I did a cereal mash too. Long time ago, no notes that I can find.

Good Luck with it.

Studies show that three out of four people make up 75% of the worlds population.

Last edited by seanhagerty; 09-06-2008 at 01:59 PM. Reason: edit for spelling

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply