Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Mashed way too hot, what now?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2010, 12:26 AM   #1
kwhyte
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Mashed way too hot, what now?

I must not have mixed things well (a problem with little kids running around causing trouble), because after 90 min I measured the mash before sparging and it was at 175 - so I assume it started close to 180 based on my normal heat loss. I'm not sure what to do now - if I had any base malt around I'd just let it cool and then add some to convert, but I'm out and won't be able to get any for at least 24 hours. I can't imagine that letting the hot mash sit for a day will do anything good, I'm not looking for a sour beer. Do I have any options or do I just give up and start over?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2010, 01:53 AM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I never throw out a beer until I know it's absolutely ruined.

That being said... I think you'll have fairly bad astringency problems here from the high mash temps. Did you by chance check the pH of the mash? If you're pH was too high (caused by high temps, certain grains, and water) then you'll have a very bitter, astringent flavor to your beer.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 03-24-2010, 02:04 AM   #3
JonW
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Join the club. I did my first AG a few weeks back and when my strike water hit the temp I wanted, I mashed in. Unfortunately, I forgot to turn the burner off for about the first 20 minutes. When I realized it, I was at 170. I've kegged now and will be tasting it in a few days. The sample when I kegged wasn't too bad, but the ABV is low.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:16 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Can you get some amylase enzyme within a couple days? Then just pitch now and add the enzyme when you get it.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-24-2010, 02:39 PM   #5
jacksonbrown
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Don't give up. Use the amylase if you can. Wait it out and see how it turns out. I had that happen once, not that high, but I did end up with a mash of 164 (turns our my thermometer was off by 12 deg). The beer did not attenuate well at all. I started at 1.060 and only got down to 1.025 despite raising ferm temps and pitching active yeast. The beer was ok, but not very enjoyable. I ended up blending it with a much lighter version of the same style and that helped.

Primary: German Alt
Bottled: Kolch, German Hefeweizen
On tap: 60/- Light Scottish Ale

Last edited by jacksonbrown; 03-24-2010 at 03:01 PM.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:52 PM   #6
OLDBREW
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

check your thermometer to see if you really mashed that high. Maybe(hopefully) something happened to your thermometer

Old 03-24-2010, 04:04 PM   #7
nathan
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

so, you don't mention if you did a starch test. Get a bottle of iodine and have it in your workspace. Get a white saucer from the kitchen, drip some fluid from the mash on it, then put in a drop of iodine. Does it turn jet black or deep inky purple very dramatically? Or does the iodine simply dilute out and turn the whole thing a bit more brownish-red?

If it turns black, there is unconverted starch. That's not good because yeast cannot eat it (simple explanation).

If it doesn't turn black, your starch is already converted and you have nothing to worry about.

Conversion with pale malt can occur in five to fifteen minutes, and a traditional 60 minute mash is just based on tradition, not conversion needs with a modern malt. So you may be just fine.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:43 PM   #8
jaginger
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonbrown View Post
Don't give up. Use the amylase if you can. Wait it out and see how it turns out. I had that happen once, not that high, but I did end up with a mash of 164 (turns our my thermometer was off by 12 deg). The beer did not attenuate well at all. I started at 1.060 and only got down to 1.025 despite raising ferm temps and pitching active yeast. The beer was ok, but not very enjoyable. I ended up blending it with a much lighter version of the same style and that helped.
How does the high FG change the drinking experience? Lower ABV of course, but what other qualities come into play that make it not enjoyable?

I am on my 4th AG brew and have been mashing at 155 or so and thinking of going a little higher to get a sweeter brew for the wife. Am i off base?

Old 03-24-2010, 08:55 PM   #9
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Higher mash temps will yield less fermentable sugars and leave you with a maltier beer. Lower mash temps are the exact opposite. They'll give you a highly fermentable wort that will finish dry. There's a lot more to it, but that's the basic gist of it.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 03-24-2010, 09:16 PM   #10
jaginger
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yes, i was just curious what jacksonbrown didn't like about his brew when he mashed hot. Just too malty?

Quick Reply