Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Mashed at 155, but beer dried out?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2012, 05:56 PM   #1
Cold Country Brewery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Mashed at 155, but beer dried out?

Hi all, I'm fairly new to all grain brewing (about 5). Last brew day I did a 10 gallon batch and divided it up between 2 boils. OG on both was 1.054.

Pot 1) Essentially a weak dead guy with English ale yeast - almost 2 weeks later FG 1.022

Pot 2) Pale ale with American Ale yeast - almost 2 weeks later 1.008!

What happened here? I used the same grist in both beers, only difference was the yeast and the hopping schedule. I've used American Ale plenty of times before and it's never gotten that low before. The Pot 1 @ 1.022 had a nice fullness to it with some sweetness. Pot 2 @ 1.088 was very empty tasting, thin and dry.

What went wrong with Pot 2 (wild yeast?), and is there ANY kind of solution? Could I put some Campden in there now, add DME (to put back some sweetness that won't ferment out) and force carbonate it?

I tested it last night, I'll test it again for the next couple days to see if it's done fermenting (I sure hope so).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2012, 07:16 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

The first thing I'd try is 8 oz of maltodextrin. That will add body, mouthfeel, and some sweetness. Boil the MD in a pint water before adding, unless you are into foam volcanoes.

May take a pound, but start with 8 oz.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-10-2012, 08:31 PM   #3
surfingpl
Recipes 

What temps did they ferment at? Exact same for both? How do you control fermentation temp?

Old 02-10-2012, 09:09 PM   #4
Cold Country Brewery
Recipes 

I'll try the maltodextrin.

I fermented side by side in my kitchen (SWMBO hates it ). I don't have any kind of fermentation chamber, so it wasn't a controlled ferment, other than my house is always between 65-68. But they were side by side. Note the two different yeasts though.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:54 PM   #5
SailorTodd
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

What american ale yeast? Wyeast? Did you use a starter? I haven't had direct experience with Wyeast, but I've had similar experience with high attenuation using White Labs California ale yeast.

I had a 1.065 gravity amber ale that mashed at 154 ferment down to 1.008. I would have called it a fluke, but I've always had pretty high attenuation with it when I fermented at room temp.

Beer, so much more than just a breakfast drink

Old 02-11-2012, 01:43 AM   #6
Cold Country Brewery
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorTodd View Post
What american ale yeast? Wyeast? Did you use a starter? I haven't had direct experience with Wyeast, but I've had similar experience with high attenuation using White Labs California ale yeast.

I had a 1.065 gravity amber ale that mashed at 154 ferment down to 1.008. I would have called it a fluke, but I've always had pretty high attenuation with it when I fermented at room temp.
Wyeast, no starter. I've used Wyeast American Ale before and it has never gone that low.

Old 02-11-2012, 02:09 AM   #7
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Country Brewery View Post
Wyeast, no starter. I've used Wyeast American Ale before and it has never gone that low.
There are lots of reports of it going that low. My last 1056 ferment went to 1.008 too. Kinda surprised that it went that low with your mash temp, though. My last brew I used 1056 on a stout mashed just under 154 and it stopped at 1.014. Are you sure of your thermometer?

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 02-11-2012, 02:44 AM   #8
Polboy
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

funny, i was just checking my notes as im drinking homebrew brown that is lacking a body and with 153F start to 150 after 1h mash US04 took it down to 1.008, im really disappointed by this, this beer had great potential but turned out low mediocre

Old 02-11-2012, 12:47 PM   #9
Cold Country Brewery
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloj13 View Post
Are you sure of your thermometer?
99% sure, but I'll double check anyway. Thanks

But if my thermometer was off, you would think both would ferment quite low.

I just checked this morning and the gravity has stayed the same, I think it's safe to assume they are done fermenting. At least it won't go lower than 1.008!

Old 02-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #10
Cartsky
Recipes 

Did you conduct a mash out before sparging? If the second pot cooled w/o a mashout to denature the enzymes, the wort could have become more fermentable than your mash temps would indicate.

This happened to one of my recent brews when I didn't get my mash out water hot enough and then got delayed between sparging and boiling.... Went down to 1.008 in about four days and didn't have much body at all.

Quick Reply