Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Mash water volume ratios.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2007, 04:44 PM   #1
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts

Default Mash water volume ratios.

OK lets talk water volumes you use in a mash. I am pretty particular about it myself. Different brews have different amounts of mash water. It runs with mash temperature for me and relates to the finish I want. A hotter and thicker mash gets a higher terminal gravity, a thinner and cooler mash will a lower terminal gravity.

When I started all-graining I was a 150 degrees and 1 quart per pound for everything kind of brewer, but I have gotten away from that. My IIPA for example is generally mashed at around 146 with 1.333 quarts per pound. My work horse Pale Ale is generally around 150 and is around 1.25 quarts, while my bock is 154 and 1 quart.

What is your practice?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2007, 04:50 PM   #2
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I like a Malty Ale with body and am not trying to get maximum ABV so I go at 68°C and 2.61l/kg. (around 154 and 1.3) For an IPA i'll drop them a bit.

Old 02-21-2007, 04:54 PM   #3
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 392 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Pretty sure that this is a topic that Palmer talks about, and the conclusion was that while mash thickness has some impact on wort fermentability, the impact of temperature is much, much larger. So, I've just stuck to a basic 1.25 - 1.30 qt/lb ratio, occassionally a bit thinner when I've had to make temperature adjustments with hot or cold water infusions. I target temperature as best I can and leave thickness constant.

What I'm really shocked at is that my last beer fermented out a *lot* dryer than I expected (to 1008), despite a mash temp that was solidly in the middle (154). Not sure if there was an issue with my thermometer being off a couple degrees, or what, but I didn't think I'd end up with that high an attenuation (85%) without a much cooler mash.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 02-21-2007, 04:56 PM   #4
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 6

OMG...you weren't kidding!

Great topic.

I've actually been experimenting with this lately too. I am trying to figure out a happy medium so I don't have to use cara-pils anymore (not that I mind using it--I just want to graduate as a brewer and say I don't have to use it if I don't want to...).

If I am deciphering your fancy brewers terms "terminal gravity", essentially for a dryer beer you want a thin mash and a lower mash temperature. For a maltier, more body beer you mash thick and at a higher temp....right?

This is how I understand it and have been testing it lately. Notes on my latest beers have taken more pages so I can go back and read specifics on what I've done.

I assume you don't use any kind of dextrine malts in your recipes (I'm too lazy to go back and look)?

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 02-21-2007, 05:29 PM   #5
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I have been wondering this myself. My DunkelWeizen was a thin mash because I did a protein rest, stepped in a cylindrical @150. I have been trying to shoot for higher mash temps (154 ish) @1:1 for things like Oatmeal Stout, etc....and 1:1.25 1:1.5 and around 150ish for Pale's etc.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 02-21-2007, 05:40 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

I brew on the dark side, so I tend to mash thin (>1.3) & higher temps (152-155). That gives me more body, malt, mouthfeel and high final gravities. Hoppy ales will go the other way.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-21-2007, 05:50 PM   #7
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude

Nope, he weren't!

For the time-being, I'm keeping my ratio at 1.25-1.3 for all my brews and working hard on really fine control of my mash temperatures. The way I look at it is that at this point, it's one less variable to worry about. I have also read, like '_bird said, that temperature has waaay more noticeable affect on the final product.

Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

Old 02-21-2007, 08:26 PM   #8
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude

Great topic.

I've actually been experimenting with this lately too. I am trying to figure out a happy medium so I don't have to use cara-pils anymore (not that I mind using it--I just want to graduate as a brewer and say I don't have to use it if I don't want to...).

If I am deciphering your fancy brewers terms "terminal gravity", essentially for a dryer beer you want a thin mash and a lower mash temperature. For a maltier, more body beer you mash thick and at a higher temp....right?

This is how I understand it and have been testing it lately. Notes on my latest beers have taken more pages so I can go back and read specifics on what I've done.

I assume you don't use any kind of dextrine malts in your recipes (I'm too lazy to go back and look)?
I use dextrine malts in lagers from time to time, but it has been way too long since I made one, so I can't really say if I would now. I don't use them in my ales and let lighter crystal kind of fill in that spot if I feel the need.

An example is my IIPA which is really a very strong and hoppy brew, but because of the low mash temperature, the higher volume of water in the mash, the balancing of all the alcohol with the malt, the dryness from low mash temperature balanced by the sweetness coming from the alcohol, all go together create a beer that tastes much smaller then it is. I had a fellow brewer drinking some the other night and his comment was it was he expected it to be thicker. When I told him the OG and strength he couldn't believe it. By utilizing the variables you can do all kinds of things.

Old 02-21-2007, 08:29 PM   #9
Glibbidy

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

40 ounces H20 to 1lb malt for mostly everything.
up to 56 ounces H20 per pound of malt for my single decoction beers.

Old 02-21-2007, 09:00 PM   #10
mew
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Does mash thickness affect anything besides wort fermentability? If it doesn't, you could just keep you water volume constant and change the temp. as someone said earlier. It must have some other effect, too.

Keg 2: Empty

Quick Reply