Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > mash water/sparge water ratios

View Poll Results: Do you keep a consistent qt/lb ratio OR a consistent mash water/sparge water ratio?
I keep my mash qt/lb the same 44 67.69%
I keep my mash and sparge water equal 8 12.31%
I don't concern myself with this 13 20.00%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2009, 02:10 PM   #1
Budzu
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Default mash water/sparge water ratios

I wanted to see how alot of you guys adjust your water ratios from batch to batch. I read that alot of folks keep the same mash water ratio (i.e. 1.33 qt/lb) and then I'm assuming just use the amount of sparge water needed to achieve their target preboil. For lower gravity brews this would force you to use a good bit more sparge water than mash water.

I don't do this, rather I aim to equalize my mash water to my sparge water. This gives me mash water anywhere from 1.33 to 1.75 qt/lb or so (1.75 for lower gravity brews). So in effect, the larger my grainbill, the lower my qt/lb ratio is. I don't really vary past those ratios though, if I need to go past it, I just allow the mash/sparge water ratio to drift. 1.25 is the lowest I've gone.

Any opinions? Which general method gives you the most consistent results in theory or reality?

Cheers!

Last edited by Budzu; 07-19-2009 at 02:15 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2009, 02:27 PM   #2
Orangevango
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Mine is really based more on the capacity of my mashtun. If im doing 20 pounds of grain ive got to lower my qt./lb. ratio to make it all fit. I like 2 qt./ lb. if i can fit it in the tun.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:27 PM   #3
mbird
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I keep the grain/water ratio consistently at 1 gal. h2o per 3 lbs. grain. If I change the ratio I have to consider the change in the strike temp. As far as the sparge water, I will fill the hlt with 10 gals. and will sparge until I have a beginning volume of 13.5 gals. in the boil pot.
mark
Beer Diary...
Brew School Home Pg1

Old 07-19-2009, 02:38 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 942 Times on 628 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I keep my mash ratio fixed but I do stay cognizant of the grain bill to avoid over sparging. If I have a really light grain bill, I'll retard my efficiency by infusing some sparge water prior to first runoff and only use a single bulk batch sparge.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 07-19-2009, 06:01 PM   #5
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I keep the mash ratio fixed, but I round off the strike water to an easily measurable volume. I never know what my sparge volume is because I almost always stop the fly sparge when the gravity drops below 1.010 rather than when I reach the required volume.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:42 PM   #6
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I keep pretty close to the 1.33qt/lb rule, but will go up or down from there depending on the amount of body I desire. I haven't seen a big difference in body between 1.25qt/lb or 1.5qt/lb, but that's just what I do. I've tried mashing with 2.0qt/lb to get better efficiency (from another thread in brew science), but I got worse efficiency. I've gone back to my normal ratio, and that works great for me. YMMV!

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 07-19-2009, 07:27 PM   #7
squeekysheep
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i do 1.25 to 1.3 and sparge till i hit 1.010 if i need more water that's easy to fix just add it to the boil. once you have your process and you know your equipment not worth messing with much.

Battle Axe brewing

Old 07-19-2009, 11:49 PM   #8
budbo
Beer is good
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I use 1.25 and sparge 5 gallons regardless of the brew and sparge to 7.5-8 gallons. It works for me and my efficiency is consistent at around 80%.

Quick Reply