Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Mash in vs mash in mash out

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2012, 06:44 PM   #1
jesseroberge
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Mash in vs mash in mash out

Can you guys tell me what is the difference between mash in and mash in mash out please...

There are alot of recipies that call for a mash in mash out, I never do mash out... Is this bad ?

The reason that I don't do mash out's is that my prefered batch is 6.08 gallons and my mash tun is 5 gallons so I don't have the tun space...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2012, 06:46 PM   #2
EvilDeadAsh
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

A mash out is to raise the temperature of your mash to ~170 degrees F to stop conversion from going any further. It is useful in fly sparging, but generally not needed with batch sparging. As far as I know, the jury is out as to whether or not a mash out improves efficiency - I'm sure others will correct me if I am wrong

Old 09-18-2012, 06:52 PM   #3
jesseroberge
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

So it eon't change the outcome of the final product very much, it's not an absolute

Old 09-18-2012, 06:56 PM   #4
billl
Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 234 Posts
Likes Given: 7

"The reason that I don't do mash out's is that my prefered batch is 6.08 gallons and my mash tun is 5 gallons so I don't have the tun space..."

Well, if you don't have the space, you don't have the space. Not much you can do about that. We're only talking about a minor increase in efficiency for most people anyway.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:05 PM   #5
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 478 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

You want to increase the mash temp to 168-172 after the mash is complete (after the time at mash temperature) in order to stop the conversion (as already stated) and then give the grain a rinse/sparge. If you're using a cooler mash tun, that can be difficult, depending on your method. You could heat/boil part of the mash and then add it back to increase the temp. Or add water at a higher temp to increase the mash to 168-172F. Personally, I simply heat the mash tun (a converted keg) to get the grain bed up to sparge temperatures. Then I simply run out the mash wort (or first wort) while adding the sparge water (already at the right temperature, from another kettle) to sparge.

Personally, I get better mash efficiency this way.

For the record, I have used cooler mash tuns before, but found them troublesome. I'm much happier being able to direct fire the mash tun to maintain it's temperature. You can also run the wort from the mash tun, through a HERMS/RIMS system (coil in another kettle with water at the desired temperature) to increase/regulate the mash temp.

I wouldn't use a 5 gallon mash tun for 5+ gallon batch sizes. You're seriously limited for what you can mash that way. IMO/IME, better off having at least a 10 gallon mash tun so that you're able to brew bigger beers when you want (without resorting to adding a bunch of [more expensive] DME).

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 09-18-2012, 07:11 PM   #6
jesseroberge
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for the info dudes

Quick Reply