Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Mash tun temp stability problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2013, 02:27 AM   #21
brewkinger
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 199 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 229

^ THIS

I saw a video on YouTube (think it was Bobby M) and the used that Reflectix stuff to wrap around his keggle mash tun as well as circular pieces just like that to put on top.

That stuff is no joke!! Holds heat well.

PRIMARY:
SECONDARY- Apple Cider (13 gallons)
CONDITIONING:
DRINKING: Hill Farmstead - my local brewery
DRINKING: Mish-Mash/End of Summer Ale
PLANNING: Dunny's Learn To Homebrew Day APA
Do not mistake my kindness for weakness. I am kind to everyone, but when someone is unkind to me, weak is not what you will remember about me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2013, 02:31 AM   #22
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4913 Times on 3563 Posts
Likes Given: 988

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrubHead View Post
Going to try this "overheat" preheat step when mashing really small grain bills in the 5 gallon cooler.
Trust me! After all, the internet is always a truthful place.

Seriously, it works. Totally. It takes about 15 minutes for the temperature to equalize, but if you take the temperature when you add the water at 180 degrees, and then like 8 minutes later, the temperature will be in the low 160s. Even in warm weather, the plastic and insulation "suck out" that much heat. It's unbelievable until you do it yourself! After that huge temperature drop, the cooler will hold heat within 1 degree for an hour, even without an insulated lid (or ANY lid). Try it! It's one of those things that is weird, but really works.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 07-08-2013, 03:23 AM   #23
ph0ngwh0ng
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Trust me! After all, the internet is always a truthful place.

Seriously, it works. Totally. It takes about 15 minutes for the temperature to equalize, but if you take the temperature when you add the water at 180 degrees, and then like 8 minutes later, the temperature will be in the low 160s. Even in warm weather, the plastic and insulation "suck out" that much heat. It's unbelievable until you do it yourself! After that huge temperature drop, the cooler will hold heat within 1 degree for an hour, even without an insulated lid (or ANY lid). Try it! It's one of those things that is weird, but really works.
I did. It doesn't. Would like to. But nope... Works with 5 gal batches in my other cooler but not that one. As I'm doing small batches as experiments before going 5 gal scale, I want the two collers to reproduce the same conditions. Heat loss is constant at 3°F per 15 minutes, however how long I wait. Preheating is a must for me, and have always done so by preheating the water to 180°, waiting, then flushing to desired volume, and waiting for strike temp to come. Maybe I'll try the thermal barrier thingy. Hey, I brew the Bobby M way, so why not insulate the Bobby M way too.

alex b

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1ngl1ves View Post
I smoke, sit in traffic with my windows down, and eat bacon by the pound. Sometimes all at once. Food grade has become a myth to me...

Old 07-08-2013, 03:52 AM   #24
ph0ngwh0ng
Recipes 

The more I think and research on the subject, the more I think the reflexive stuff is better. Ployurethane foam RESISTS to heat transfer, it therefore ABSORBS heat very well, without transferring it to the otehr side (outside of the tun). But reflexive coating REFLECTS heat back in the mash tun. Can't wait to try this out tomorrow.

alex b

Quote:
I smoke, sit in traffic with my windows down, and eat bacon by the pound. Sometimes all at once. Food grade has become a myth to me...

Old 07-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #25
ph0ngwh0ng
Recipes 

I tried the reflexive bubble wrap this morning with the evil water test from hell and it works great! 2.5°F loss in an hour, as opposed to 10°F minimum for other insulating methods. Yay!

alex b

Quote:

Old 07-08-2013, 06:37 PM   #26
pwortiz
Strong Hand Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0ngwh0ng View Post
I tried the reflexive bubble wrap this morning with the evil water test from hell and it works great! 2.5°F loss in an hour, as opposed to 10°F minimum for other insulating methods. Yay!
Good for you man. I'm glad it worked out for you! I finally feel like I've contributed!

Quick Reply