Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Mash tun temp stability problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2013, 01:21 AM   #11
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4381 Times on 3188 Posts
Likes Given: 854

Preheat the cooler better! The first hot water addition really gets the heat sucked out of it, and so if you preheat the cooler with a gallon of 180 degree water (any hotter and the cooler will crack and warp), you'll lose almost no heat over the course of the mash.

Just preheat for at least 15 minutes, drain (or let the water go down to your strike temp and use it for your mash) and you'd be all set. A blanket over the top might help not lose so much heat from the top, but I think the cooler is sucking out the heat via the sides/insulation if you're only preheating for a quick 5 minutes. You need to preheat until the temperature stops dropping.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2013, 02:06 AM   #12
ph0ngwh0ng
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Preheat the cooler better! The first hot water addition really gets the heat sucked out of it, and so if you preheat the cooler with a gallon of 180 degree water (any hotter and the cooler will crack and warp), you'll lose almost no heat over the course of the mash.

Just preheat for at least 15 minutes, drain (or let the water go down to your strike temp and use it for your mash) and you'd be all set. A blanket over the top might help not lose so much heat from the top, but I think the cooler is sucking out the heat via the sides/insulation if you're only preheating for a quick 5 minutes. You need to preheat until the temperature stops dropping.
Been there, done that... No good. I really think the lid is the problem here. It gets quite hot, even with 3 blankets, i can still feel the hear through em, while the sides and bottom do not feel warm. I've wrapped the faucet too, since it got quite hot.

alex b

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1ngl1ves View Post
I smoke, sit in traffic with my windows down, and eat bacon by the pound. Sometimes all at once. Food grade has become a myth to me...

Old 07-06-2013, 04:25 AM   #13
Clonefan94
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 185 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 46

This is just a thought, and might be worth trying. I've used a ton of Great Stuff and even bought bottles of the stuff to mix up myself to make a myriad of things.

Take your cooler, close the lid on it, then drape some good vapor barrier plastic over top of it. I've always called the stuff visqueen. Make sure it completely covers the cooler and drapes down and past the cooler. Then use the great stuff (wear rubber gloves) and go all over the plastic, building up a nice solid surface. Let that cure. Because of the plastic underneath, you should be able to lift it off and just use it as a cap to put back on after you mash in. Keep in mind you are going to want to remove it, so be careful around the handle area so you don't permanently encase your cooler.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:21 AM   #14
ph0ngwh0ng
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonefan94 View Post
This is just a thought, and might be worth trying. I've used a ton of Great Stuff and even bought bottles of the stuff to mix up myself to make a myriad of things.

Take your cooler, close the lid on it, then drape some good vapor barrier plastic over top of it. I've always called the stuff visqueen. Make sure it completely covers the cooler and drapes down and past the cooler. Then use the great stuff (wear rubber gloves) and go all over the plastic, building up a nice solid surface. Let that cure. Because of the plastic underneath, you should be able to lift it off and just use it as a cap to put back on after you mash in. Keep in mind you are going to want to remove it, so be careful around the handle area so you don't permanently encase your cooler.
Very good idea!

I'm trying it as soon as I can and will report! About the handle, I'll just remove it. It's useless anyway.

alex b

Quote:
I smoke, sit in traffic with my windows down, and eat bacon by the pound. Sometimes all at once. Food grade has become a myth to me...

Old 07-06-2013, 12:41 PM   #15
Pie_Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 13

You've obviously done a lot of water tests with the cooler. I say just brew something and see what happens. Then, you'll have an understanding of heat loss during a real mash, and you'll have the bonus of making beer. It's a win win.

Old 07-06-2013, 01:03 PM   #16
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 426 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Testing with water is an invalid test!

Water will not hold heat like a mash.

Stop testing and brew, keep a little boing water handy and work it out if you lose a little temp.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 07-06-2013, 02:12 PM   #17
ph0ngwh0ng
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
Testing with water is an invalid test!

Water will not hold heat like a mash.

Stop testing and brew, keep a little boing water handy and work it out if you lose a little temp.
Aaah the mysteries of thermodynamics...

Yes, keeping boiling water and raising the temp when it falls too low is a swell idea too. Although it's a pain having to monitor temp throughout mashing, and this will induce heat loss by itself...

I'll definitely make a foam hat for my cooler (see previous posts). The lid is way too thin. When it's done, I'll simply do a batch and monitor heat at the beginning and at the end of mash. If and only if there is still a problem (temp fluctuation > 5°F), I'll be adjusting temp during mash with boiling water for future batches.

alex b

Quote:

Old 07-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #18
Pie_Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I don't know exactly what you mean by foam hat, but if you're using spray foam insulation, I'd make sure it's food grade.

Truthfully, I think you're over analyzing the heat loss during the straight water tests. As pointed out, the tests with just water are not an accurate representation of heat loss during an actual mash. Brew a batch of beer and see what happens. We're talking about a one gallon batch in a two gallon cooler, no big deal.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #19
TrubHead
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post

Going to try this "overheat" preheat step when mashing really small grain bills in the 5 gallon cooler.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:15 AM   #20
pwortiz
Strong Hand Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I was running into the same problem and was going to check out the "great stuff" solution that others have brought up. But never got around to it....in the meantime I ran into an issue with my "root cellar" in my basement this past winter where I finally decided to try a radiant barrier solution on the door there. A thought occurred to me that perhaps the same thermodynamical (yes, I just made that word up) principles might apply...so I cut a circle out and added it to my lid. I've only used it once (this past weekend in fact) and it worked remarkably well. The super-hot lid you had mentioned earlier is exactly what I had dealt with previously. This time? Couldn't tell I had anything hot inside at all. So, it worked for me.

I attached a pic with the hopes it could help.

It isn't secured with anything. I just made it large enough that it would sit in the lid and stay there; screwed it on the tun, and popped it off when done so it could dry off due to the condensation.

This is what I used: http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/100020855?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100020855&R=100020855# .UdoS3fm1E4o

img-20130707-00207.jpg  

Quick Reply