Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Mash Tun with stainless steel braided weave hose

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012, 03:02 PM   #51
wilserbrewer
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 571 Times on 466 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brihaus View Post
Any suggestions?
Sell that kitchen aid attachment on ebay while it is still worth something before you break it. Take the proceeds and by another mill, anything from a $25 Corona to a $300 Monster will work better than the KA attachement IMHO.

Firstly the KA mills are designed for making baking flour, secondly they are for ginding a few cups, NOT 10-15 pounds that us brewers need.

If you are dead set on using it, maybe BIAB???

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 03:05 PM   #52
BadNewsBrewery
Basement Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Or, if you're set on using the Kitchen Aid device, invest in a nice bed of rice hulls and fly sparge your way to victor?

2014:
5gal Scottish Wee Heavy
5gal Saison
15gal American Pale Ale
20gal Belgian Wit
10gal Oktoberfest
10gal Southern Pecan Ale
5gal Winter Spice Ale

Keg 1: Apfelwein
Keg 2: Oktoberfest
Keg 3: Southern Pecan
Keg 4: Winter Spice Ale

Old 12-18-2012, 03:41 PM   #53
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Keep the kitchen aid and start baking bread. Buy a grain mill for beer.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 12-18-2012, 07:11 PM   #54
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brihaus View Post
Fresh question. Moving to all grain setup. I have a Home Depot 10 gallon cooler to convert. The last partial mash I did, I realized I had a 1lb bag of unmilled grain; completely slipped through the cracks when I had the home brew store mill the other grains. Unfortunately, it was Sunday morning, the home brew store was closed, and the wife already had the kids out of the house to let me brew. With no way to mill, I panicked and bought a Kitchen Aid mill from Williams Sonoma for like $140.00.

The mill is built for making your own flour, so the coarsest setting grinds the grains up pretty fine. The end result was a thick sludge in my wort. After it cooled, I siphoned it through a hop bag into the carboy before pitching yeast.

But back to my question. If I'm going to have grain that is milled a little finer than usual, what set-up is best? I don't care if I end up fly or batch sparging. I more worried that way too much sediment will make it through a false bottom, or the fine sediment will clog a braided hose quickly.

Any suggestions?
I crush very fine, a lot of flour. Using a braid, I have never had a stuck runoff in 430 batches.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 12-18-2012, 11:47 PM   #55
Brihaus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. It's a solid and heavy piece of machinery, so I don't doubt it can handle milling 15 lbs of grain every so often.

Ebay seems to have a lot of new, unused KA grain mills available. I'd be looking at maybe getting half what I paid or less, but maybe that's worth it. I'll think about it.

Quick Reply