The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Mash Tun with stainless steel braided weave hose

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2012, 05:11 PM   #31
tre9er
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

you could either add a 45* elbow or just don't worry about it. By the final sparge you're leaving behind very thin wort. Adjust your sparge water volume accordingly so you have enough. I always prepare more sparge water than I need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2012, 06:08 PM   #32
DonMagee
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I use a Kettle screen - 12" Long I ordered when I bought my cooler conversion kit. I've done 4 all grain batches with this setup so far and I'm very happy with it.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:12 PM   #33
BobBailey
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMNOTL8 View Post
I thought I might add this tip... I got my 10 gallon igloo cooler at Wal-mart.com http://alturl.com/atxer for $39.98. The exact same cooler on the Igloo company website is $77.99!

Another question for everyone... Due to the drain hole being about 1 inch above the bottom, do you have a lot of dead space in the bottom? I mine with just water until the siphon action stopped and had almost 80oz of fluid left!
I leave about 1 1/2 qts. with a 10 gallon round and SS braid. A little slower draining allows more wort to drain from the grain.

Bob

Old 06-01-2012, 09:15 PM   #34
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBailey View Post
I leave about 1 1/2 qts. with a 10 gallon round and SS braid. A little slower draining allows more wort to drain from the grain.

Bob
This is true, before siphon is broken more liquid can settle to the bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 06-01-2012, 09:19 PM   #35
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts

If you can connect a hose that extends below the bottom of the MLT it will drain more completely before it loses the siphon. This does nothing to combat the slow settling of liquid from the grain column. Sparging slower will help that some.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 06-02-2012, 03:39 PM   #36
brewyourown4life
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Started with a 16 inch braid for my first few batches, cut it down to 8 inches and it still works great. have a coil of copper wire inside to to prevent any damage during the stirring process, and i stir pretty aggresively. i only sparge slow when i do a pumpkin ale otherwise once it runs clear, wide open baby

Old 06-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #37
BigJay13
Recipes 

The only time I have had an issue with my braid was when I brewed with a pump for the first time. I recirculated waaaay too fast and it crimped the braid. Since then I haven't had any issues. We get 84% eff with a hwh supply hose about 2" diameter and runs just straight across the mash tun (converted keg). Some day we will get a false bottom but I am happy with 84%.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #38
JordanThomas
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Does anyone have any recommentations for getting rid of some of the braid threads sharp ends? I used a dremel to get rid of the fittings on my braid, but the ends are really sharp. I'd like to prevent getting cuts cleaning the tun, so any tips would be awesome.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #39
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanThomas
Does anyone have any recommentations for getting rid of some of the braid threads sharp ends? I used a dremel to get rid of the fittings on my braid, but the ends are really sharp. I'd like to prevent getting cuts cleaning the tun, so any tips would be awesome.
A second hose clamp or wrap in copper wire.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 09-11-2012, 12:47 AM   #40
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 380 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanThomas View Post
A decent pair of scissors will trim the end of a frayed braid...the stainless wires are so fine the trim pretty easily w/ scissors.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com/

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Quick Reply