Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Mash Tun Size

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2013, 01:02 AM   #1
juggabrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Mash Tun Size

Just made the decision to go all grain. Ive only done two batches that were extract but I'm ready to move on. I bought a 40qt brew kettle from amazon this morning and should be here on sat with my prime shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Winware-Stainl...ywords=winware

My question now leads to the MT/HLT. I will be doing 5 gal. batches

What do I need now...
1. 5 or 10 gal mash tun?
2. 5 or 10 gal HLT for sparging?
3. What cooler works best for mashing, round igloo or rectangle?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2013, 01:23 AM   #2
nick0122
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Shape is really personal preference and space considerations. As for size def. 10 gallon minimum. 5 will get pretty full on bigger beers.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:28 AM   #3
pmatson
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I am making a similar switch and went with a 10 gal rubber maid round cooler that I converted to a mash tun. You can find the build instructions on this site and the interwebs if you want to save money (very easy build). If you batch sparge, you don't need a hot liquor tank, so that saves you money and space. Cheers.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:13 AM   #4
juggabrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmatson
I am making a similar switch and went with a 10 gal rubber maid round cooler that I converted to a mash tun. You can find the build instructions on this site and the interwebs if you want to save money (very easy build). If you batch sparge, you don't need a hot liquor tank, so that saves you money and space. Cheers.
Isn't that what the Hlt is for, sparging?

Old 03-08-2013, 05:27 AM   #5
norsk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I routinely make 7 gal batches with over 24 lbs of grain and a 50 qt rectangular chest has worked great for several years...

veteransforpeace.org

VALHALLA BREWERY

Old 03-08-2013, 05:30 AM   #6
Xtynct
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I bought a 48qt Igloo marine that I converted using instructions from http://www.donosborn.com/homebrew/mashtun.htm It hasn't failed me yet.

An HLT is used for fly sparging, where continuous water is being added to the mash tun while draining the wort. Batch sparging is where you drain(collecting the runnings), then add more water, stir, then drain again. Repeat until you have your desire boil volume.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:41 AM   #7
Tinga
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've used both a round and rectangular cooler but I prefer the round cooler much more. it's taller and therefore has a smaller foot print which I like. I also recirculate and the tallness of the round cooler gives me a deeper grain bed and thus a better filter. I have a 3 gallonish system and I have a 5 gallon mash tun. it gives me the flexibility to do larger batches with lower gravities or normal size batches with a higher gravity. I made a 3 gallon batch of an RIS with an OG of around 1.096 and I don't think I could have fit much more in the tun. it was also a pretty thick mash. I also made a 4 gallon batch of brown with a gravity of around 1.056 and the tun was getting up there but a decently thin mash. If you plan on doing any 5 gallon batches higher than around 1.070 I would recommend getting a 10 gallon tun. this will give you the flexibility of doing larger batches as well as higher gravity batches.

Why Not?

Old 03-08-2013, 07:06 AM   #8
RonPopeil
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 16

i have a yellow igloo cooler. looks like a sports drink cooler. it's a 10 gallon, i've mashed 15lbs of grain in it effectively. tried a 21lb batch that didn't turn out well. not sure if the mash in was the issue.

Pipeline:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Homebrewing as a way to save money is like getting married as a way to always have sex.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:18 AM   #9
HellBound
Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 67 Posts

I have both a 48 qt rectangle cooler with a Denny Conn set-up and it works great for everything. But I also use a 10 gal rubbermaid round and my last batch was an old Rasputin clone with a ~17 lb grist. Plenty of room.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:42 AM   #10
juggabrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinga
I've used both a round and rectangular cooler but I prefer the round cooler much more. it's taller and therefore has a smaller foot print which I like. I also recirculate and the tallness of the round cooler gives me a deeper grain bed and thus a better filter. I have a 3 gallonish system and I have a 5 gallon mash tun. it gives me the flexibility to do larger batches with lower gravities or normal size batches with a higher gravity. I made a 3 gallon batch of an RIS with an OG of around 1.096 and I don't think I could have fit much more in the tun. it was also a pretty thick mash. I also made a 4 gallon batch of brown with a gravity of around 1.056 and the tun was getting up there but a decently thin mash. If you plan on doing any 5 gallon batches higher than around 1.070 I would recommend getting a 10 gallon tun. this will give you the flexibility of doing larger batches as well as higher gravity batches.
Thanks tinga. Big help

Quick Reply