The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Mash Tun Recirculation and stuck sparge

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2012, 08:43 PM   #1
jstewartgt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Mash Tun Recirculation and stuck sparge

For a second batch in a row I've had a stuck batch sparge. I know it's related to recirculating the wort using my pump, but I cut the flow way down.

I'm currently using a 3/4" braid and it seems like it may have been crushed and just isn't letting the wort flow. Has anyone else had any issues like this? I figure I'll build a cpvc manifold to avoid the crush, but I'm also thinking maybe may crush is too fine and causing the grain bed to become too compacted.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2012, 03:36 AM   #2
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

I also use a 3/4" braid and haven't had a stuck mash since converting to that. Sounds like your crush may be too fine; post a pic of your crush.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:39 AM   #3
kbuzz
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

But I'll also offer this alternate advice - I use a CPVC manifold and have never had a stuck mash related to lautering method...

Bottled:
Future Brews: a gluten-free beer for my mother-in-law, barleywine

Old 07-06-2012, 07:51 AM   #4
Aguas
Recipes 

Ive been having this problem. I think the braid needs to be replaced at some point. My crush is pretty fine, but i get a lot of intact hulls so I think it has more to do with the braid. It didnt happen when I first started using the braid.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:12 AM   #5
MikeinCT
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

When I first built my mash tun (converted 5 gallon cooler) I used a braid. From time to time I experienced the "stuck sparge". Very frustrating. So I went to an all cooper manifold. Worked fine until one day it happened again. So my solution was to put a biab bag into the tun as a liner. This works great I have probably done 10 brews since then without issue.

good luck, Mike

Old 07-06-2012, 01:25 PM   #6
illinibrew04
Recipes 

Are you sure the braid was stainless? I've seen a lot of people have that problem because there are a lot of stainless look alike braids that are actually some type of plastic now.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #7
jstewartgt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

My braid was stainless, but had warped due to the other stuck sparges.

As an update, I think I know what was happening in may case. After creating a cpvc manifold, it happened again. I believe what was happening is the piece of aluminum I was using to try and disperse the recirculation water was eventually sinking in the mash tun and sitting directly on the grain. I believe the surface area of that aluminum was creating a vacuum on the grain bed combined with the weight of the wort on top of it was compacting the grain bed to a point of no return.

Once I removed the aluminum, I didn't have any further issues.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:10 PM   #8
illinibrew04
Recipes 

Glad to hear you got it fixed

Quick Reply