The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Mash Tun Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2012, 03:52 AM   #1
BodaciousBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Mash Tun Question

Hi. We've upgraded ourselves from 1 to 3, to now 5 gallon batches. We bought the 5 gallon Igloo converted Mash Tuns with the coil at the bottom to filter out the wort. On our first brew with this system, the coil got crushed by our grain and the whole process took over 5 hours because the liquid could not exit through the spout. We ended up having to scoop out a lot of the grain and try and stir it up to lessen the weight on the coil. We are trying to figure out how to prevent this on the next batch. Our current idea is to put a silicone steaming basket from our kitchen in the bottom of the igloo cooler so it stands just above the coil, hopefully lessening the weight of the 12 pounds of grain plus water that will go on top of it.

Has anyone else had a problem with the coil clogging or getting crushed by the grains? How have you fixed this issue? Thanks in advance for your knowledge and help!

~Jen & Mark

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2012, 04:01 AM   #2
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 984 Times on 610 Posts
Likes Given: 2661

What do you mean by "coil"? Is it a stainless steel braid? Can you post a photo of it?

Old 04-29-2012, 04:04 AM   #3
BodaciousBrew
Recipes 

Yes by "coil" I mean stainless steel braid. It got crushed by the grain and was basically looking like the shedded skin of a snake, all flat.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:04 AM   #4
Jaybird
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 84

There are several ways to convert a MLT from a cooler. I do know some people that when using the "coil" I think you mean a "braid" (but I may be wrong here) they install a spring in it or do it over a copper coil with slits cut in it.
Myself I am a big fan of the Jaybird false bottom system for the coolers They are custom cut to fit your cooler. They also sit above the drain so you dont have to worry about beating up the braid when you stir.
Cheers
Jay

I have been making custom False Bottoms for just about everything since 2008

Nor Cal Brewing Solutions, Reddings local homebrew store
(530)243-BEER and (530)221-WINE

Still have questions PM me here or hit the website.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too

Old 04-29-2012, 04:07 AM   #5
BodaciousBrew
Recipes 

Ahh yes, a false bottom may be in our future. The ones we looked at seemed to be too wide for this cooler. We measured the top and bottom diameter and it definitely is more narrow at the bottom. We were trying to kind of feel out a way to do a false bottom from scratch with something we have around before having something custom made if we can avoid it.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:11 AM   #6
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 984 Times on 610 Posts
Likes Given: 2661

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodaciousBrew View Post
Yes by "coil" I mean stainless steel braid. It got crushed by the grain and was basically looking like the shedded skin of a snake, all flat.
I used a heavy gauge piece of copper wire to make a "coil" (shaped like a long spring) to slip inside of the braid. This will stop the braid from collapsing. Your silicon false bottom idea might work as well...

Old 04-29-2012, 10:35 AM   #7
Jaybird
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodaciousBrew View Post
Ahh yes, a false bottom may be in our future. The ones we looked at seemed to be too wide for this cooler. We measured the top and bottom diameter and it definitely is more narrow at the bottom. We were trying to kind of feel out a way to do a false bottom from scratch with something we have around before having something custom made if we can avoid it.
Yeah I hear ya there. Try the stainless coil inside the braid. or the copper tubing as well. I hear people are able to make that work, I think you have to go with the 3/8" copper so it can get in the braid. If you arn't able to get it to work let me know, I would love to help.
Cheers
Jay

I have been making custom False Bottoms for just about everything since 2008

Nor Cal Brewing Solutions, Reddings local homebrew store
(530)243-BEER and (530)221-WINE

Still have questions PM me here or hit the website.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too

Old 04-29-2012, 11:45 AM   #8
younger96
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stauffbier View Post
I used a heavy gauge piece of copper wire to make a "coil" (shaped like a long spring) to slip inside of the braid. This will stop the braid from collapsing. Your silicon false bottom idea might work as well...
+1. Go to your local hardware store and buy 2 feet of any type of #12 AWG wire. Strip off all the insulation and wrap that wire around a wooden dowl about 1/4" in diameter to make the "spring". Take your braid fitting apart, slide in the copper, form to shape and reconnect.

My first MLT used a braid with this setup and it never stuck - but it was slower than my second MLT setup using a collection manifold (tube with slits cut).

Old 04-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #9
bullinachinashop
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Did someone say false bottom? I thought I heard someone say false bottom!

You can also look around here for mash tun designs and builds that you can easily and cost effectively build yourself.

Have fun with it!

Old 04-29-2012, 12:41 PM   #10
dbrewski
This is my User Title
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I used a stainless braid for a while, then I used a converted kettle screen, I think they call them torpedo screens. I finally settled on a copper manifold. They're easy to make from parts from Home Depot or Lowes as long as you can do a little copper sweating. If you can't, there are also people that have made them from CPVC. But if all this is too much work the spring inside the braid is probably a good idea, just make sure you know what the material is.

Here are some shots of mine, works great. If you wrap it in a grain bag, you don't even need to vorlauf.

imag0251.jpg   imag0252.jpg   imag0253.jpg  

Quick Reply