Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Mash Tun O-Ring Disaster

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2010, 04:49 PM   #1
Cistercian
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Mash Tun O-Ring Disaster

I'm converting a 10 gal Home Depot round cooler into a mash tun.

Here's the problem. The 3/4" o-ring (on either the inside or outside) slips into the wall of cooler whenever I tighten, thus breaking the seal. It leaks.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for the help,
Cistercian

Interested in Sacred Scripture, Catholic Theology, and Thomistic Philosophy?

Follow me on Twitter!

Check out: Canterbury Tales Blog

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2010, 05:41 PM   #2
excaptn
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

had the exact same issue, and once I got it to stay and added hot water it began to leak again. I finally got it to stay in place with a small leak, 1 drip every 3 seconds, so I used two park epoxy on the outside of the cooler around the washers. Probably not the best idea but it seemed to work for me.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:45 PM   #3
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Go to the plumbing section of your tool store and look for silicone sheeting used to cut custom gaskets and make yourself a big, flat washer/gasket.

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:56 PM   #4
Cistercian
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Could it be that Home Depot 10 Gallon jugs have different size openings at the bottom?

I just don't get it.

Cistercian

Interested in Sacred Scripture, Catholic Theology, and Thomistic Philosophy?

Follow me on Twitter!

Check out: Canterbury Tales Blog

Old 10-30-2010, 06:01 PM   #5
Reelale
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1373 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 55

That's what it sounds like to me. For the o-ring to work properly, the hole must be almost exactly the size as the nipple that goes through. As was previously mentioned, silicone washers will give you more bite, if the hole is too big. Good luck.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:06 PM   #6
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 553 Times on 402 Posts
Likes Given: 430

The best way to get a good seal is to cut a clearance hole through the outter wall big enough for the body of the valve and a hole through the inner wall the size of the thread. Clear the insulation out so that the body of your valve will hit the inner wall. This way you are only compressing on a thin piece of plastic, not trying to squeeze two walls with insulation between them together.

Here's one with a plastic ball valve:

mlt06.jpg  

Old 10-30-2010, 07:47 PM   #7
Palefire
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post
The best way to get a good seal is to cut a clearance hole through the outter wall big enough for the body of the valve and a hole through the inner wall the size of the thread. Clear the insulation out so that the body of your valve will hit the inner wall. This way you are only compressing on a thin piece of plastic, not trying to squeeze two walls with insulation between them together.

Here's one with a plastic ball valve:

That's a good idea. I did a variation of this (or, took a different approach to fix the same potential problem): I dug out the insulation around the hole and filled it with Bondo. You can tighten all day and that part of my cooler isn't going to budge.

Seems like figuring out why it's slipping is key for you. Is the hole too big or do the cooler walls cave when you tighten? (Or something else?) Both problems can be fixed pretty easily, but require different solutions.

Quick Reply