Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Mash Tun Filtering Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2011, 04:06 PM   #11
estoppel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The dip tube acts as a syphon and your wort will drain all the way down until the tube when it breaks the suction.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2011, 10:46 AM   #12
pola0502ds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by estoppel View Post
The dip tube acts as a syphon and your wort will drain all the way down until the tube when it breaks the suction.
exactly, I have a dip tube on my BK and under my false bottom in the mash tun, works great.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:26 PM   #13
Recipes 

Time to look for something new to use. Used 24 pounds of grain yesterday and it got stuck almost immediately.

Does anyone recommend using a manifold? I know a lot recommend a false bottom but that consists of 60-70 dollars and waiting for it to get here.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:21 PM   #14
gifty74
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'm interested to hear the best keggle MT solution too. We've tried the nice false bottom from Midwest Supplies but that has slowed to a trickle on 3 consecutive batches. I brew in a cooler and have a CPVC manifold that works wonders! Never a stuck sparge and I can ALWAYS run the pump as fast as I want. My buddy had tried the Midwest false bottom, but now went to a bazooka screen (pretty much like what you have) and has had similar issues sticking and has to blow back through the hose several times to clear it during sparging. Not good.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:41 PM   #15
pola0502ds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

In my keggle, I cut a small hole in the bottom, inserted a long bolt, welded it to the keg. Then i put a hex coupling on top of that bolt in side the keg. I got a stainless steel colander, cut a hole in the top of it. Put the colander inside the keggle and on top of the hex coupling. Take a eye bolt with a wing nut attached to it, thread it through the colander and into the hex coupling. Then tighten down the wing nut. This secures the colander very tight to the bottom of the keg.

Also, the colander has a hole cut into the side so a dip tube can be placed inside of it.

Obviously the colander is a dome shaped, not your normal false bottom but it works great.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:48 AM   #16
Recipes 

Any one have pictures to help me out with ideas. I was thinking of taking copper tubing and cutting slits in it and point them down. Possibly slipping SS braid over it as I have a lot laying around.

Was also looking at
http://cgi.ebay.com/Stainless-Steel-...item43a5b4310f

I am from Michigan and wouldn't mind helping another Michigan company out. Would I be better off getting this and running copper tubing into the center hole and then putting a SS clamp at the top.

I need something that is going to feed my pump well though. I am having major problems with priming my pump. Recently ran into a stuck sparge and then problems moving any liquid from any vessel.

This is how it is set up at the moment. Some said to movie the pump with the out facing up. I can having problems getting the liquid to fill the tubing it just trickles down then stops randomly.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:00 PM   #17
Recipes 

Quick Reply