Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Mash tun cooler not working well for me

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2012, 12:55 PM   #11
craigger64
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmybeer View Post
I always thought that by adding more water to your mash you were more likely to loose heat because the thicker grains retain heat better than just plain old water. It's like oatmeal, which will stay hot on the inside forever, vs a bowl of hot water which will lose temp quickly. So therefore a thicker mash might be your target.
I lose heat more quickly with a THINNER mash.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2012, 03:02 PM   #12
KraphtBier
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Is there a lot of headspace in your tun after adding grain and strike water? If so try taking some aluminum foil and resting it on top of the mash. I lose way less heat since I started using this method.

If God made anything better than beer, apple pie, and women (in that order)...he kept it for himself.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:20 PM   #13
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1056 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Do you live in a place where it's still cold at midnight? Fill the cooler with about 2 gallons of 190F water and take it outside. Shine a flashlight around where the lid closes and see if you get steam coming out.

Was the grain sitting out in the garage overnight? How about the cooler?

However, I do agree with the others that using 164F without a preheat is definitely not going to do it. That temp is assuming a certain ambient temp (what temp the cooler is), grain temp, and water/grain ratio.

My guess is most of that heat was lost to the cooler itself and grain, which was probably colder than Promash was assuming. If you think you need 164F strike, heat it to 175 before putting it in the cooler. Then just let the cooler take whatever heat it wants over the next 5 minutes. Also tilt the cooler a bit so that water hits each side wall. Wait until the water gets to 164, stirring with the lid open if necessary, THEN dough in.

Report back.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 04-07-2012, 04:23 PM   #14
SouthBay
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KraphtBier View Post
Is there a lot of headspace in your tun after adding grain and strike water? If so try taking some aluminum foil and resting it on top of the mash. I lose way less heat since I started using this method.
This is pretty much exactly what i was getting at. The overall density of a thick mash will be higher than a thinner mash, and have a greater thermal mass per unit of volume, meaning it'll retain more heat. Buuuuut, once you take into account headspace in the mash tun, that thermal mass will be radiating its heat into a very not-dense area of air, and could be escaping through the lid/seals, especially if it's not insulated with blankets/sleeping bags/etc or if its being opened repeatedly.

I've never tried the aluminum foil thing, but it seems like it'd work, since it doesnt absorb heat very well.

Old 04-08-2012, 02:14 AM   #15
Naptown
Recipes 

Great advice. Things learned: 1. Mash at a higher temp regardless of everything - easy to cool, near impossible to heat with my methods. 2. I need to keep using this "remote" thermo. It gives me real time numbers. 3. I need to assume more of a loss in the first 5 minutes (that's where I had the steepest amount of loss). 4. Keep getting practice. Perfect practice makes perfect.

Thanks again.

Primary: Pale Ale w/ Wyeast American Ale
Primary: Pale Ale w/ Wyeast Northwest Ale
Keg: American Wheat 3 Floyds Gumballhead clone
Keg: Bombastic IPA
tapped Keg: Wild Child Mild Brown Ale
tapped Keg: Hearts Squared - all grain Bell's clone

Old 04-08-2012, 04:31 AM   #16
cravej
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptown View Post
Things learned: 2. I need to keep using this "remote" thermo. It gives me real time numbers.
Are you sure it is accurate? Do you have another one you can check against?

Quote:
3. I need to assume more of a loss in the first 5 minutes (that's where I had the steepest amount of loss).
Maybe you should just stir for the first five minutes, then take the temperature.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:18 PM   #17
Naptown
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cravej View Post
Are you sure it is accurate? Do you have another one you can check against?

Maybe you should just stir for the first five minutes, then take the temperature.
Yes, I have double checked it. I do a lot of BBQ smoking with it. It's solid. Yeah, I think that's my biggest mistake here. I though you mashed in, and were done when there were no clumps. That's just wrong.

Primary: Pale Ale w/ Wyeast American Ale
Primary: Pale Ale w/ Wyeast Northwest Ale
Keg: American Wheat 3 Floyds Gumballhead clone
Keg: Bombastic IPA
tapped Keg: Wild Child Mild Brown Ale
tapped Keg: Hearts Squared - all grain Bell's clone

Old 04-08-2012, 01:41 PM   #18
wilserbrewer
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 571 Times on 466 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
2. I need to keep using this "remote" thermo. It gives me real time numbers.
Is it possible that the remote probe is laying at the very bottom of the tun, the outside of the cooler, and experiencing more cooling than the rest of the mash? For this reason I prefer a handheld thermo to a mounted unit.

Just for kicks try checking the temp at various locations throughout the mash. Temp should be fairly consistent if the mash is mixed well. I agree with previous posters, if properly preheated, just about any cooler, properly sized, will not lose a significant amount of heat.

All you would ever want to know about preheating a MT here...http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/pre-...sh-tun-295417/

Http://biabbags.webs.com/

Corona Mill Bucket System V. 2

Quick Reply