New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Mash tun - brew kettle vs rubbermaid cooler




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2010, 01:27 PM   #1
Rich_S
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 130
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Mash tun - brew kettle vs rubbermaid cooler

Thoughts on this?

I guess the key advantages of using a stainless steel brew kettle as a mash tun and hot liquor tank are it's more durable and you can mount a thermometer in it and put the HLT on a burner to get exactly the temps you want. Cost is the downside, but given what some charge for a rubbermaid with the plumbing, the cost difference is only moderate.

Am I missing anything?



__________________
Rich_S is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2010, 01:31 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Bobby_M's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Piscataway, NJ
Posts: 21,733
Liked 853 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default

Heat retention is the biggest difference. I highly suggest a cooler for your first mash tun.
Where in NJ are you?



__________________
BrewHardware.com
Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!
Bobby_M is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2010, 01:39 PM   #3
chefmike
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: north Georgia
Posts: 1,358
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

If you meant you can put the mash tun on a burner and get the exact temps you want.... I would be careful. Adding direct heat to a system manually can be harder than you think in terms of hitting a precise degree.

I started with a rubbermaid and have no regrets. It is very flexible and reasonably forgiving.

And I can purchase and plumb one for $50 to $60.

__________________
Reformation Brewery: We went professional
Obsessing over: starting a local brewery (hence I am not here much these days!), Pickles, my wife, 2 year old and 5 year old, my chevy 6.5L diesel Suburban
Reading: fall of giants by ken follett
Building: gardens, recipes, and trailer mounted smoker/ wood pizza oven
chefmike is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2010, 01:45 PM   #4
marcycaulkins
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vermont
Posts: 181
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default

I used a pot in insulated box for many many batches because of the "I can put it on the heat and raise the mash temp if I need to" thought. It worked fine, but here is why I can't wait to build my 10 gallon round MLT (I just got the cooler....):

1. It is easier to control temp by adding boiling water.
2. (as mentioned) less heat loss to begin with)
3. I won't have to transfer to a second unit (sparge bucket) for lauter and sparge
4. I will have 1 less piece of large equipment to wash.

__________________
marcycaulkins is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2010, 02:52 PM   #5
Rich_S
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 130
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Heat retention is the biggest difference. I highly suggest a cooler for your first mash tun.
Where in NJ are you?
Right off exit 7.
__________________
Rich_S is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2010, 02:53 PM   #6
infection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Southern NJ
Posts: 200
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

where in Jersey are you located?

I would suggest you visit a couple brew days and watch each system in action, then you can make an informed decision

if your in south jersey I know a few guys that use keggles and a few that use coolers

PM me if your interested

__________________
infection is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2010, 02:53 PM   #7
Rich_S
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 130
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefmike View Post
If you meant you can put the mash tun on a burner and get the exact temps you want.... I would be careful. Adding direct heat to a system manually can be harder than you think in terms of hitting a precise degree.

I started with a rubbermaid and have no regrets. It is very flexible and reasonably forgiving.

And I can purchase and plumb one for $50 to $60.
No, I meant putting the HLT on a burner, not the MT. Heat the water in the HLT to the exact temp you want and then lauter/sparge from there.
__________________
Rich_S is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2010, 02:58 PM   #8
Rich_S
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 130
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcycaulkins View Post
I used a pot in insulated box for many many batches because of the "I can put it on the heat and raise the mash temp if I need to" thought. It worked fine, but here is why I can't wait to build my 10 gallon round MLT (I just got the cooler....):

1. It is easier to control temp by adding boiling water.
2. (as mentioned) less heat loss to begin with)
3. I won't have to transfer to a second unit (sparge bucket) for lauter and sparge
4. I will have 1 less piece of large equipment to wash.
What I was thinking of was getting two stainless brew kettles and using one as a hot liquor tank and one as a mash tun. The burner would go under the HLT. Both would have temp gauges and ball valves. Sorry if I wasn't clear.
__________________
Rich_S is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2010, 02:59 PM   #9
justinakajuice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 128
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I did a lot of research on this and the cheapest and most proven route was to buy a 62-qt Coleman Xtreme from Wal-Mart. I just got it delivered to the house today. I'm looking to do my conversion today. I'm heading up to the 'depot here soon as I stop reading the forum!

__________________
justinakajuice is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2010, 02:59 PM   #10
Rich_S
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 130
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by infection View Post
where in Jersey are you located?

I would suggest you visit a couple brew days and watch each system in action, then you can make an informed decision

if your in south jersey I know a few guys that use keggles and a few that use coolers

PM me if your interested
Sure, how do I find out about these brew days?

I was looking at keggles on eBay and they all seemed to be going for $200-$250, which is about the same as a stainless brew pot with plumbing.


__________________
Rich_S is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rubbermaid 7 Gallon Cooler DrewsBrew All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 13 03-12-2009 06:57 PM
max for 10 gal Rubbermaid cooler? Neddy All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 7 06-09-2007 02:11 PM
MLT from Rubbermaid cooler apparatus All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 21 04-03-2007 01:36 AM
Rubbermaid vs. Gott cooler Ivan Lendl All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 35 05-01-2006 04:25 PM
Rubbermaid cooler volume Steve973 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 7 09-01-2005 02:39 AM