Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Mash temp spikes - can't control

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
Raptor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Mash temp spikes - can't control

I've gotten a new brew-pot, a Blichmann 10 gallon with false bottom and built-in thermometer, and I'm struggling with mash temperatures. When I try to raise the temperature from, say, 122 to 130 the thermometer (even though fully immersed in the grist) will stay at around 122 as I stir, and then suddenly spike up to 140! I think the false bottom is part of the problem, but if I take it out I have to pour the whole mash out into another pot, replace the false bottom, and then sparge, which seems a hassle. I've tried draining off a gallon as it heats and pouring it back in, but this doesn't seem to help.

Ideas?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
ArcaneXor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Those types of thermometers sometimes stick - you need to tap them periodically to "unstick" them.

Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply