Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Mash in temp question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2008, 05:37 PM   #1
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Default Mash in temp question

I've been trying to dial in my temps for mash in using Beersmith. Last weekend I mashed in with 180º water into about 20 lbs of grain and was just slightly high in the mash. Today I'm doing just over 17lbs of grain and Beersmith is telling me to use 164.6º water. This is single infusion, medium body, batch sparge with a ratio of 1.5 quarts per pound. I left the grain and MLT temp as room temp. I can't see any way that the water will be hot enough at that temp.

I'm sure I used Beersmith to calculate my temps last weekend too and thought it gave me the 180 degree temp. I went over because I pre-heated the tun. Any idea what I could be doing wrong here?

Oh, and that's with 26.5 quarts of water. Last weekend the quantity it told me to use was out to lunch so I put in as much as I though was needed. I suspect the temp would have been lower if I'd had the proper water to grain ratio set.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2008, 06:22 PM   #2
bandt9299
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I use beersmith and never mash in at the temp that it says. I have a little program someone wrote, its an infusion mash temperature calculator, and I have used it since day 1 and its right on the money, I mean for me right on. It's always 5 degrees higher than beersmith says. PM me if you want me to sent it to you.

Old 03-01-2008, 06:33 PM   #3
imasickboy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Try here:

http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

I haven't used the strike temp calculator, because I use the one in Promash, but I'm brewing today and tomorrow, so I'll try it and see how it works out.

Old 03-01-2008, 06:40 PM   #4
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

That calculator does not take into consideration the amount of grain. I'm doing a 10 gallon batch. In any case, it says a strike of 170º which is still higher than Beersmith and too low for 10 gallons IMHO.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:05 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1056 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Assuming a preheated tun, 167-170F is always the range BTP gives me on a 1.25qt/lb dough in.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 03-01-2008, 08:37 PM   #6
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
Assuming a preheated tun, 167-170F is always the range BTP gives me on a 1.25qt/lb dough in.
That sounds right, Bobby. I went to 176º and the mash went to 160º. I stirred for awhile with the lid off to get it down a little (it's about 23º outside). I probably would have done better at 170º - 172º. Certainly 164º would have been too low.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:02 PM   #7
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1056 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I usually go with 180F into a cold cooler MLT, let it take some heat away and then dough in when it hits 170F. I usually nail the temp at 152.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 03-01-2008, 09:31 PM   #8
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

The rackers.org calculator has always been consistent for me. I realize it doesn't ask for grain weight but it still is accurate. I preheat the cooler.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:37 AM   #9
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandt9299
I use beersmith and never mash in at the temp that it says. I have a little program someone wrote, its an infusion mash temperature calculator, and I have used it since day 1 and its right on the money, I mean for me right on. It's always 5 degrees higher than beersmith says. PM me if you want me to sent it to you.
If that's the case you need to change a few of the settings for your MLT in Beersmith, then it will give you the right numbers.

I go with what the Beersmith says and it's always right (once I got all the setting adjusted)..

I endup for a 10 gal batch (20+ pounds) 170-175* strike to hit the 150 - 154* rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

Old 03-02-2008, 02:48 AM   #10
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Beersmith works correctly if you give it inputs it needs. You have to enter your equipment and it's weight along with the grain temp and qts strike water per pound of grain. Then as long as the mash tun temp is stabilized at the strike temp you can add the grain and stir and again let it stabilize and take the temp and for me it is always spot on. Once you find your speed of doing this procedure with accurate results you can do it every time and not have problems.

Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor

“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”

Quick Reply