Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Mash temp, perceived sweetness and FG

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2012, 12:36 AM   #1
triangulum33
Whenever it feels right!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Mash temp, perceived sweetness and FG

If you brewed 2 batches exactly the same except one having a higher mash temp you would have a sweeter beer, but would the FG be higher too?
Do unfermentable sugars raise the measured gravity?

I ask because I brewed an IIPA that measured 1.009, but tastes far sweeter than I would expect.

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Meine Keezer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2012, 01:06 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4262 Times on 3104 Posts
Likes Given: 811

In short, yes. "Longer chained" sugars are produced by higher mash temps, and tend to create a higher FG when the beer is finished.

If a beer tastes sweet at 1.009 (which is a pretty "dry" reading for beer), the beer is probably underbittered and NOT underattenuated.

I'd look at the SG/IBU ratio, and consider that the bittering in that beer is lacking. A 1.009 beer should taste a bit thin, crisp, and dry.

Old 05-27-2012, 03:51 AM   #3
brewski08
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by triangulum33 View Post
If you brewed 2 batches exactly the same except one having a higher mash temp you would have a sweeter beer, but would the FG be higher too?
Do unfermentable sugars raise the measured gravity?

I ask because I brewed an IIPA that measured 1.009, but tastes far sweeter than I would expect.
yes, FG would be higher.

yes, unfermentable sugars remain "unfermented" and thus contribute a higher density than alcohol which causes your FG to remain high.

1.009 and sweet? that sounds really, really dry to me for an IIPA. sounds to me like your beer could use more hops or IBUs to be more specific.

Quick Reply