Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > "Mash Temp" of Extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2011, 02:41 PM   #1
corwin3083
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default "Mash Temp" of Extract

I'm moving into partial mashing, and to assist in continuing to make the beers that I like, I'm curious if anyone has any idea, even roughly, what the "mash temp" would be for your average LME or DME.

Example: I made an extract cream ale a while back that turned out very, very well. I just tried to recreate it with a partial mash, and it appears to have a much thinner body than my previous, extract, version, despite the fact that I used, and held, a mash temp of 154*F.

Does extract just generally have an equivalent fermentability to a higher mash temp, say ~156*F or so?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2011, 04:19 PM   #2
davefleck
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Each manufacturer will be a little different. I would bet more flavor differences would come from the reduction to concentrated extract then just the mash process.

Don't focus on making a recipie to mimic extract. You have far more opportunities with your mash process. Focus on learning those nuances

Old 10-18-2011, 04:26 PM   #3
bknifefight
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I agree with davefleck. If you want to recreate the extract recipe, why not use the extract?

Old 10-18-2011, 04:28 PM   #4
corwin3083
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Flavor has nothing to do with my question. I'm entirely concerned with body at the moment.

My extract recipes have consistently had a thicker, chewier, more satisfying body than my partial mash recipes; I'm attempting to determine if I need to be mashing higher, say at 156-158*F, in order to replicate the body that I get from extract.

I am aware that I could just throw some maltodextrin in there to bring the body back up, but I'd prefer to fix this problem via mash temp if possible.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:29 PM   #5
corwin3083
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bknifefight View Post
I agree with davefleck. If you want to recreate the extract recipe, why not use the extract?
Because partial mash recipes cost me $10-15 less, on average, than a comparable extract recipe, and I think I should at least pretend to be trying to save money on this hobby.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:45 PM   #6
bknifefight
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Are you certain you are getting a consistent temperature of 154 in your mash? That should give you plenty of body. I doubt extract makers mash above that.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:51 PM   #7
corwin3083
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bknifefight View Post
Are you certain you are getting a consistent temperature of 154 in your mash? That should give you plenty of body. I doubt extract makers mash above that.
For the partial mash cream ale, I'm about 85% certain that I did get a consistent 154*F for the mash; I measured temp before and after to confirm. However, I've only done (4) PM batches so far, so could have missed something or mismeasured something.

The recipe, for reference, was as follows:

.5# light DME
7.25# 2-row
.25# carapils
1# cane sugar (added after primary fermentation was complete, as with a tripel)

.25oz warrior @ 60min
.4z cascade @ 15min

Starter of WLP510 Bastogne Belgian Ale

If 154@F should have provided plenty of body, perhaps I could try another batch of this recipe at 156*F for comparison... After all, either way I end up with beer where there was no beer before.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:56 PM   #8
smalliewader
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I could be way off here, but 7 lb's of 2 row doesn't even equal 3 lbs of DME. So the recipe really only has 3 maybe 3.5 lbs of "DME". There's your problem. 7.5-9 lbs of grain is a typical sized grain bill for when I do 3 gallon AG batches.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:58 PM   #9
corwin3083
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalliewader View Post
I could be way off here, but 7 lb's of 2 row doesn't even equal 3 lbs of DME. So the recipe really only has 3 maybe 3.5 lbs of "DME". There's your problem. 7.5-9 lbs of grain is a typical sized grain bill for when I do 3 gallon AG batches.
Dang, guess I need a new, bigger mash tun...

Old 10-18-2011, 05:11 PM   #10
smalliewader
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If all your PM's have been lacking body it's because you aren't using enough grain in place of the DME. You could keep roughly the grains you used in this batch, but only using 1/2 lb of DME isn't enough. You need more like 3+ lbs of DME for that recipe you posted.

Quick Reply