Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Mash temp for Dry stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2008, 01:59 PM   #11
Soulive
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsul
It's not necessary, I have done so before without thinking about it. It has never made any difference in my efficiency either way (no stuck sparges either).
Yeah I usually don't, but wasn't sure. Cheers...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2008, 07:39 PM   #12
big supper
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So we ended up going for 152, hit 151 and decided to run with it. Our 3rd AG and definately our best result(as far as efficiency). Although we did buy our grain from a different store and had a much better crush. Thanks for the help!

Old 02-25-2008, 08:59 PM   #13
Got Trub?
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Just take good notes and then you will be able to adjust up or down the next time you brew it. I did my first one at 152 and was just a tad sweeter then I wanted it so dropped it to 150. With 2# of flaked barley that one finished out at 1.012 and plenty of body. I don't crush my flaked barley but I do process it in the food processor and get an extra 2-3 points of gravity from it.

DD

Old 02-26-2008, 03:12 AM   #14
farmbrewernw
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I just did my second AG which is also a dry Irish stout, been in the primary for a week now, ended up with a OG of 1.011. My question is, currently the brew has a smoky flavor to it, I assume from the roasted barley, and I'm not a big fan of "smoked beers" will this mellow out over time? Around 10% of my grain bill was roasted barley, I'm thinking this may have been a tad too much.

EDIT: by the way I should have said it's a 5gal batch

Last edited by farmbrewernw; 02-26-2008 at 03:15 AM.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:16 AM   #15
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 361 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Well, 10% is the classic percentage for a Guiness clone (65% base malt, 25% flaked barley, 10% roasted barley). Smoke flavors will tend to drop out over time, although I wouldn't necessarily think of roasted barley as "smokey"... I dunno, but your percentage sounds spot-on.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:21 AM   #16
farmbrewernw
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Cool, I wont worry too much then, if anything I know those that would be more than willing to drink it.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:02 PM   #17
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
Well, 10% is the classic percentage for a Guiness clone (65% base malt, 25% flaked barley, 10% roasted barley). Smoke flavors will tend to drop out over time, although I wouldn't necessarily think of roasted barley as "smokey"... I dunno, but your percentage sounds spot-on.
I've seen this classic recipe, but it doesn't state if the roasted barley is the 300L kind or the 500L kind. Some places sell the 500L as Black Barley, others sell it as roasted barley (stout). I imagine there is a BIG difference between 10% roasted barley 300L and 10% roasted barley 500L.
Any ideas?
Craig

Old 02-26-2008, 06:23 PM   #18
farmbrewernw
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Yeah I would think there would be a huge difference, I can't remember what I used, I think 300L, I'll have to check after work. I guess my main concern is that I don't recall Guinness having that much of a roasty profile. I grew up on heavy stouts and always thought Guinness was sort of tasteless in that regard. My trip to Ireland really got me into liking Guinness however, so I was hoping to make a fairly close clone to enjoy on tap, but at this point I think it's going to take some serious aging to mellow it some.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:47 PM   #19
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 361 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Well, I used 500L. Northern Brewer has both Simpson's Black Malt and Simpsons Roasted Barley at 500°-600°L. They do not sell a "Black Patent"; I'm not sure if that's the same thing as Simpson's Black Malt or not. The Black Malt IS made from malted barley (roasted barley is unmalted), so they are not the same thing.

Who sells 300L roasted barley? I'm not sure I've seen any that light (well, relatively speaking) sold as such, but I may not have been paying close enough attention. That's basically haldway between pale chocolate and "regular" chocolate malt, which is not what I think of when I'm thinking of roasted barley.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:56 AM   #20
Got Trub?
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

It is available:

http://www.americanbrewmaster.com/product_info.php?products_id=1407

I've only used the 500+L and haven't found it overwhelming in the 5-10% range, just nice and roasty with maybe a hint of smoky.

GT

Quick Reply