Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Mash Temp - Accounting for Loss

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2011, 08:01 PM   #1
tagz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default Mash Temp - Accounting for Loss

If I lose about 4 degress over the course of my mash, what is my mash temp? For example, if I hit 152 at the start and finish at 148, should I consider 150 my mash temp?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2011, 08:04 PM   #2
MBasile
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Temperatures are only a reference point. If you consistently lose 4 degrees what you should take away from each brew is "My mash started at X temp and I got Y attenuation with Z yeast."

Up next: beer
Fermenting: beer
Conditioning: and more beer

Total gallons in 2012: 10

Old 02-19-2011, 09:52 PM   #3
Northcalais40
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I agree with Mbasile, but would add that you would be making a unique situation that would be different than any single temp mash. Maybe not better or worse but different. Also I don't think it's bad or wrong to have gradual temp flux.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:20 PM   #4
chapa
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would just shoot for the temp to start. Most of the conversion is done in the earlier part of the mash, so the temp is more important at the beginning, but just take good notes on temps and try to insulate the mash tun more if possible. I don't think a few degrees is a big deal, but its something I'd work on. I had a really crappy mash tun when I first started(very thin and lost temp pretty bad)-i bought an igloo ice cube and I don't lose a single degree the whole mash. Its great!

Bottled/Kegged: Red Rye IPA, Wesside Trip(Westmalle Tripel clone), ESB, Lil Trap (4% Trappist Starter Batch), Robust (Pumpkin) Porter, 3% Little Hopper, "Slick Rick" Old Engine Oil Clone(oaked w/ vanilla and balvenie scotch), Imperial RyePA,
On Deck: Quad, Belgian IPA, Orfy's Mild, Scotch Ale

Old 02-19-2011, 11:25 PM   #5
pkeeler
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
If I lose about 4 degress over the course of my mash, what is my mash temp? For example, if I hit 152 at the start and finish at 148, should I consider 150 my mash temp?
Depends. If you used a large portion of base malt with strong enzyme content (like 2-row or pilsner), then it probably converted 90-95% before the 45 min. mark. So, a straight average won't be exact. So, probably 151 would be something to input into brewing software. So, not a big difference. If you are using all Munich malt or something, or a lot of adjuncts, maybe then you could think of it as 150. If a recipe called for 152, you could start at 153 and basically get the same wort profile as someone who is at 152 the whole 60 min, imo.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:26 PM   #6
tagz
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Exactly the info I was looking for. I'll keep working to improve the stability of my temps, but it's good to have an idea of the conversion timing until then. Thanks.

Quick Reply