New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Mash PH and slow fermentation.




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
Kabitzed
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 5
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Mash PH and slow fermentation.

Has anyone had any trouble with a mash PH around 6.0 and slow fermentations.
The last to beers I've made have had this trouble.
Thanks



__________________
Kabitzed is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 08:13 PM   #2
zzARzz
Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
zzARzz's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 410
Liked 43 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Mashing likes a pH of around 5.2-5.4 for the amylase enzymes to convert efficiently as do the yeast. If you have a highly alkaline water supply you may want to use something like pH 5.2 additive or add something like citric acid or cream of tartar to your strike water until you get in that 5.2-5.4 range before mashing in. pH test strips are pretty cheap or you could get a pH tester to figure out how much of the additives will get you where you want to be.



__________________
zzARzz is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 02:19 AM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 58,669
Liked 3865 Times on 2824 Posts
Likes Given: 647

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzARzz View Post
Mashing likes a pH of around 5.2-5.4 for the amylase enzymes to convert efficiently as do the yeast. If you have a highly alkaline water supply you may want to use something like pH 5.2 additive or add something like citric acid or cream of tartar to your strike water until you get in that 5.2-5.4 range before mashing in. pH test strips are pretty cheap or you could get a pH tester to figure out how much of the additives will get you where you want to be.
I would NEVER add citric acid or cream of tartar to my mash- unless I liked the taste of it.

Your pH is too high, but that shouldn't affect conversion, just flavor of the finished beer. I would also never add the 5.2 buffer.

You still should convert.

that said- there is a lot of room for improvement to get your pH in the proper range (RO water, correct sparge pH, correct additions including calcium). So, if you can post a water report or what your water is, we can help you figure out how best to get the best tasting beer and the best mash pH and fermentation.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 03:07 AM   #4
zzARzz
Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
zzARzz's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 410
Liked 43 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Cream of tartar is flavor neutral and has been used in baking since the 1800s to aid in making the alkaline pH of egg whites lower for the production of stable meringues as well as in the production of inverted sugar used by many English and Belgian styles.

Making a mash lower in pH through the use of different malts is another way of doing things, of course, and I agree that citric acid in sufficient quantities would alter the flavor profile of a brew, but after having used cream of tartar successfully for years without any ill effects in recipes with flavors far more delicate than beer, I'm skeptical of the sudden outcry against it.

__________________
zzARzz is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 03:30 AM   #5
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
helibrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 2,972
Liked 155 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzARzz View Post
Cream of tartar is flavor neutral and has been used in baking since the 1800s to aid in making the alkaline pH of egg whites lower for the production of stable meringues as well as in the production of inverted sugar used by many English and Belgian styles.

Making a mash lower in pH through the use of different malts is another way of doing things, of course, and I agree that citric acid in sufficient quantities would alter the flavor profile of a brew, but after having used cream of tartar successfully for years without any ill effects in recipes with flavors far more delicate than beer, I'm skeptical of the sudden outcry against it.
It's basically Potassium and Tartaric acid, and used as a primary reference for pH buffer solutions (pH 3.5 saturated). Seems harmless enough in the quantities we would use.
__________________
Something is always fermenting....
"It's Bahl Hornin'"

Primary: Hefeweizen
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, Belgian Pale Ale, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com
helibrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 01:41 PM   #6
tomhen
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
tomhen's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ridgway, Colorado
Posts: 28
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

It's your mash pH like mentioned above. I would add a couple mils of Phos. acid to your strike water. You will probably be ok in the 5.0 to 5.5 area. Also check your last runnings. They shouldn't go above 5.6. Lastly the yeast you use is important. If you want a nice clean and fast fermentation ale, try White Labs English Ale 2. Excellent stuff.

__________________

Tom Hennessy
-Brewery Operations Manual. 3 Steps to Build And Operate A Successful Brewery

tomhen is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 58,669
Liked 3865 Times on 2824 Posts
Likes Given: 647

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by helibrewer View Post
It's basically Potassium and Tartaric acid, and used as a primary reference for pH buffer solutions (pH 3.5 saturated). Seems harmless enough in the quantities we would use.
Yes, of course. But without a pH meter and knowing the composition of the water, adding it to the strike water may not be helpful. Obviously, if the mash pH was 6, the water seems to be alkaline. But we don't know the composition of the water, the actual pH (meter or strips), when the pH was taken, etc. Adding it without knowing exactly why and how much (and if the pH will be taken by a meter or with those strips) will not be helpful to the OP.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
Brewerforlife Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 01:49 PM   #8
tomhen
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
tomhen's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ridgway, Colorado
Posts: 28
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

I'm way more relaxed. Most home brewers I've met are way more technical than me. I keep good records when I brew, so it is easy to make slight tweaks to a recipe. given the numbers of that brew, I would add a tiny bit of acid to the strike water and brew. A pH meter would be a way to go but I'm with Charlie, "relax and "just" homebrew.



__________________

Tom Hennessy
-Brewery Operations Manual. 3 Steps to Build And Operate A Successful Brewery

tomhen is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Slow fermentation onset, then blowoff, then stuck fermentation onthedot Fermentation & Yeast 3 02-09-2013 01:46 AM
Slow fermentation scorpien222 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 09-02-2012 10:01 PM
Which is better? A fast, very active fermentation, or a slow steady fermentation? cerberus9 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 09-24-2009 04:56 PM
Slow Mash Tun drewbrew82 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 3 03-16-2009 10:34 PM
slow slow fermentation question !! WheaYaAt Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 09-07-2008 06:18 PM