New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Mash PH help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2012, 02:18 PM   #1
Kyled93
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Default Mash PH help!

Hey guys,

I am recently starting to address brew water. I'm going to adjust/dilute with distilled water to compensate for the amount of sodium I have in the local water here in Florida. My question comes in the estimated mash PH. I used bru'n water and calculated a mash Ph of 4.8 . This concerns me a bit as ideally I would like 5.2-5.3. Any suggestions on how to bring this Ph back into range?

I'm going to try and brew this weekend and any help is very much appreciated!

Kyle

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 05:10 PM   #2
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 155 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyled93
Hey guys,

I am recently starting to address brew water. I'm going to adjust/dilute with distilled water to compensate for the amount of sodium I have in the local water here in Florida. My question comes in the estimated mash PH. I used bru'n water and calculated a mash Ph of 4.8 . This concerns me a bit as ideally I would like 5.2-5.3. Any suggestions on how to bring this Ph back into range?

I'm going to try and brew this weekend and any help is very much appreciated!

Kyle
Use a water calculator to help you with dilution using RO water. The RO water will help solve the pH problem.

Primary: Hefeweizen
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, Belgian Pale Ale, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 10-14-2012, 08:00 PM   #3
mabrungard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 24

That must be a crazy amount of crystal and roast in that grist to predict a mash pH of 4.8. I assume this must use a very high amount of RO water. Are you sure that all the grain information is entered correctly and the grain type properly set? 4.8 is lower than I've ever seen predicted.

Unfortunately, I know that Ft. Lauderdale water has modest hardness and alkalinity since they lime soften their water. I provided engineering services to several of those plants in years past. So even with a higher percentage of tap water, the alkalinity might not rise high enough to counter the pH drop. Adding pickling lime might be the best alternative.

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

Old 10-15-2012, 02:45 AM   #4
Kyled93
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

The grain grist is as follows:

17 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs 8.0 oz. Flaked oats
1 lbs 8.0 oz Caramel Malt - 60L (Cargill) (60.0 SRM)
16.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)
4.8 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM)
16.0 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM)
2.0 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.0 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min
2.0 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)
2.00 Items Vanilla Beans (Secondary)

The dilution I calculated was approximately 60% of distilled water to my Tap water.

Here is what I have for Tap water all in (PPM):

Bicarbonate: 48.08
Sulfate: 11.7
Chloride: 68.3
Sodium: 36.5
Magnesium: unknown and not provided even after calling ( assuming zero)
Calcium: 23.1

PH: 8.44

Total Alkalinity: 49.7

Even with using the distilled, I still get 4.8 for the Mash PH. With using 100% tap I get a PH of 4.5 PH. I just don't know what I can do to adjust the PH up..... What repercussion do I have if I brew at this PH?

Quick Reply